addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Edmonton Hiking/Walking Meetup Group Message Board › NEED NEW ORGANIZER.

NEED NEW ORGANIZER.

A former member
Post #: 19
NEW ORGANIZER REQUIRED. I feel this group is no longer able to meet my outdoor interests and needs and it would be selfish of me to continue on to being the organizer. if anybody else is willing to take over please, post your interest on the message board and i will contact you with the info required. thanks alot and sorry for letting the group down, it is just to much for a university student that holds to jobs as well, i did only take on the position temporaril. and i am going to ontarion for 3 months to work.
A former member
Post #: 3
Since I have joined I have been anxious to do one activity, or even one meet up to get to know anyone. As a new member I even tried to plant a few ideas for the summer. I don't know how often members here actually check the site. But as I have seen there has been little organization. And in the weeks I have been a member the only plans or ideas I have seen are my own. I was really hoping an organizer or another member in the mean time would have planned or mentioned an idea. As I see it for now... if people don't begin to step up now. There will be little to nothing going on for this group in the summer. I wouldn't mind being an organizer. But I also work full time hours. I have a family. And I don't have weekends off so anything I planned wouldn't be helpful for most here.

I hope someone takes it on there shoulders if not maybe I will try the role for a while and see if "we" can get this group going.
A former member
Post #: 14
If someone else wants to take on the "Organizer" role, I would be happy to help out with planning a few events now that the weather is a little warmer.

I am somewhat limited by a) I live in Leduc, so I'm not always available for Edmonton events and b) I have a 13 month old daughter, so hikes/walks would have to be 'baby friendly'.

If anyone is interested in a walk along the river valley tomorrow (Sat - March 10), I'm planning to hit the trails around 2:00 pm!
A former member
Post #: 2
Let's get outside..and on with it.

It's pretty mukky now, but we could stick to some packed/paved walking trails here in Edmonton.... Maybe something for Sunday afternoon??? Where I don't know - any ideas anyone?
A former member
Post #: 19
To start, some congratulations are in order to Heather. The fact that she is off to Ontario means that she got a dream job at a summer camp. Setting goals and completing them is good stuff ? way to go Heather.

And now, a personal philosophy of mine ? ?Strategic Apathy?. Essentially this means consciously know what to care about, and, just as important, what not to care about. In the case of this meet up group, don?t invest too much emotionally energy or attachment to it. Why? Because inherently there is no structure or sustaining organization here that is worthy of more than a casual effort.

To be clear, this is about social organizations and not about people. Heather, Brian and I managed to do a couple of hikes and they are good folks and I would enjoy heading out on another trip with them sometime in the future. Having said this, all three of us are busy with our own lives and the meetup social inter-connection is too tenuous to spend time and effort on. Particularly, if meeting up means taking time away from stronger connections such as family, friends or work.

So my suggestion? We probably don?t need an organizer, let?s keep on arranging meetups through the message board. But what about arranging meetups through the proper channels of website ? quite frankly who cares? I am sure the Meetup.com organization would prefer that we us that functionality. If I was them, I would be using it as a barometer to set their advertising rates. But, you know what, that is there problem not ours.

My own strategic apathy when it comes to this site? If I am planning a hike, I will post a message setting a precise time and meeting location. If people can join in, great; if not, it does not change my plans ? I am still hiking. I would suggest other people do the same. I had a good day snowshoeing a few weeks back on Big Lake even thought no one else was interested. Does the lack of interest bother me? Not in the least, the 69 registrants had better things to do and that is okay by me.

Heather, why don?t you stay on as the coordinator? Add your involvement to your resume as an example of community involvement. In terms of effort, practice strategic apathy and plan to do nothing until you have the time and inclination. As an added bonus, if you stay on, I will buy you a coffee and I would love to hear about your summer when you are back next September.

My 2 cents.
A former member
Post #: 15
A small caveat to Phrank's comment above... when an event is planned and added to the calendar online as an 'official' meetup, an email is sent to all members advising them of the details. This means that even those members who don't check the message board regularly would learn about the event and may be enticed to join in.
A former member
Post #: 20
First off thank you Phrank, i appreciate the good sentiments and a coffee when i get back is a for sure. Next on the topic of organizer the only problem is that it cost me money to be the organizer, and frankly being a university student, that is a concern of mine. I do not feel that it is fair for me to pay for something that i would not even be a part of. and also so that this site which i also a first invested alot in but then as Phrank commented have been disappointed by. threfore if someone else will take over fine, but other than that i think it will be back to the message board as the only means of communication and maybe not even. but sarah i will add you as assistant for now as well.
A former member
Post #: 12
I agree that posting on the message board is a good way of letting people know what is going on. I often check the site - my only problem is that I don't have a vehicle so anything out of the city is a bit of problem, particularly since I have only met one person from the group so far. I have a question about the existence of the site though; does the message board disappear if there is no organizer?
A former member
Post #: 49
Heather, I hope you have a blast this summer, congrats on the job. You'll have to tell me all about Ontario (around a pitcher of beer) if I am still here when you get back.

Maggs, I think the meetup needs to have someone pay for it. If no one pays for it, then it turns back into a "Meetup Alert" and no longer has anything but a list of names of those who want the meetup.

I am more than willing to help as an asst organizer, but don't have the time or energy to run the show. If someone does take over, feel free to let me know what I can do to help out.
A former member
Post #: 20
Heather, what exactly is the ongoing cost of the group beyond the initial $75 that someone paid at sometime? Is there an annual fee that you are paying out of your pocket.

I tried to wade through the EUA but I must be too tired and it is too long for tonight.