align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo
A former member
Post #: 239
April 1st is this Tuesday and that means that we are officially back in Business!

Firstly a nod and a thank you to our sponsor - the Waskahegan Trail Association (WTA).  Without their generous support we would need to worry about collecting fees, etc. for this group.  What is in it for the WTA?  Beyond some good internet exposure their by-laws state that they will:
"... provide for its members and interested people a program of hikes and other outdoor activities in the Edmonton district and elsewhere...".

As a result, there is no monetary cost to be a member of this group but that does not mean that belonging is free.  

Each Meetup member must propose a minimum of one event per year and be responsible for its running.  An event can be anything remotely related to walking sports that meets basic safety and common sense requirements.  Examples can include:  

• Sunday PM walk from Glenora Parking Lot  
  • Thursday evening walk in Sherwood Park  
  • Saturday trip out to the Cadomin Caves  
  • An evening presentation about trekking in Nepal  
  • A Sunday morning power walk through West Edmonton Mall  
  • An afternoon skate  
  • A winter walk and -bring your own hot dog- roast in Emily Murphy Park  
  • A 75KM bike ride (pushing it a bit but I like cycling!)  

As you can see, we will be VERY liberal in our definition of a walking event.    

Some possible questions and answers.  

Q. I am a current member of the Waskahegan Trail Association, do I have to organize an event?
A. No, WTA members [and organizers] are exempt and should have a member title of "WTA Member"; if I have not given you this title email me and I will do so. 

Q. I do not want to organize anything, I just want to attend the occasional meetup and go walking. Besides I am too busy.   
A. Sorry but we are all too busy.  With every benefit there is a cost.  In this case the cost is very small - one event every 12 months.   

Q. Can I organize more than one event a year?  
A. Absolutely.  The one event is a minimum and not a maximum.  The more events you propose the more walking you get to do and people you get to meet.   

Q. What happens if I do not comply?  
A. You will be asked to leave the meetup group or will be removed.   

Q. We currently have about 114 members, will this not reduce our numbers down to a few dozen who are active and walking all the time?  
A. Yes  

Q. How do I propose a walk?  
A. Simple?.  

• Post a message on the message board describing your proposed meetup. Be sure to include the key details: date, time, trip details (length, where, how long, etc.)   
  • Depending on the event, give at least a weeks advanced notice.  
  • Alternatively, email one of the organizers with your idea   
  • You must use a pre-existing location or else provide a street address including a postal code - sorry - this is a meetup thing
  • Because you are making your own meetup you can tailor it to your own preferences (open to all, ladies only, men only, kid friendly, kid free, history focus, backcountry, in-city, etc.)   
  • One of the organizers will turn it into an event, after it has been vetted   
  • Answer questions, arrange further details as necessary   
  • Go on the event and if you enjoyed it, plan another   
  • Consider doing a write up so the group has a record of good walks and location   

Q. I am going walking with my dog right now, can I email you and that counts?  
A. As long as you give me one week advanced notice.  

Q. What happens if you organize an event and no one RSVP's?   
A. Go walk anyway!  You still get the credit for the year whether it is just you or the whole group.    

Q. What happens if I have no-shows?   
A. That is their loss, you got to go walking (or whatever the event was).   

Q. I am new to the group, do I still need to comply?  
A. Newbies will be given a little grace, but yes, you need to comply  

Q. How will you know if I have organized an event?  
A. I will give you a customized title such as Spring-08  

Q. Why are there safety and common sense requirements?  
A. Because the safety of the members is paramount. 

Q. Who determines if a proposal qualifies as an event 
A. Phrank. 

Q. My title has been changed to: 20-April Event Request  - what does this mean?
A. It means that I have emailed you and asked you to create an event by that day [20-Apr].  If I do not hear from you within the next week or so - I will remove you from the group.  You are welcome to come back anytime - but you will still be expected to organize an event.   

I am pretty accommodating on this whole event thing.  For example, if you need a few months to finish school, a work project or the kids are out of school - no problem.
A former member
Post #: 9
Hi Phrank,

I think it's good to have the policies of the Meetup Group spelled out so that people realize they have to contribute by organizing the occasional event. Anyways, I have organized an event for April 18th so I hope someone is willing to show up. I'll also be attending the WTA AGM and plan to join at that time.

I hope to see you soon at an event.

Sincerely,

Erika smile
A former member
Post #: 241
If you have been around the group for a bit you may have noticed that I reduced the event requirement from 4 [one per season] then to 3 [our three hiking seasons] to now 1!

Partly this is because our group has grown and 115 Events X 3 seasons was a bit too much.

So, 1 event - sometime between now and the fall.

See you on the trail....