The Edmonton Hiking/Walking Meetup Group Message Board › WTA Members & Meetup - Next Steps...
|A former member||
Take a read of the following email string vis this site and Waskehagan. The long and the short of it is this. If you are a WTA member you can ask the board to maintain support for this site. Details can be discussed but the critical thing is for members to ask.
If you are a WTA member, the next steps are as follows:
- Email Barb via email either lending your support or not. Silence means you do not support Waskahegan continuing the support of this site and want it to be self-supporting.
- Barb will determine how and when to request the WTA board to revisit this issue.
- If you are not a WTA member and are interested in this issue, discuss this with Barb.
I must abstain from discussion because of a principle known as board solidarity. Essentially once a board makes a decision, all members must respect and support that decision. If WTA members want us to revisit the issue, I am good with that, but until that time, the decision has been made.
Barb, I would suggest the November board meeting is a good time to 'fish or cut bait' on this issue.
Thanks for this Frank. It was a pleasure to meet you. I really appreciate your offer of staying on as grand pooh-bar (by the way I haven't heard that term for a long long time!). I think it would be a great idea.
I wonder if you could circulate an email to all new associates with email info. I know I should be able to get it from the web-site, but you know I'm cyber challenged! We will need to communicate with each other about the
I am personally in favour of staying affiliated with the WTA. I think it is a good way to go.
Thanks again for your hard work. Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2008 3:06 PM
Subject: Meetup Next Steps... Minutes
Your Organizer, Phrank, sent the following message to some members of The Edmonton Hiking/Walking Meetup Group:
Thank you to the members who attended. I have made all of you assistant organizers which means you can now create events to your hearts content!
As a recap, here is what is going to happen to this site - currently:
1. December - the last Waskahegan event occurs and no more WTA events are loaded.
2. I step down as the organizer in December/January
3. If someone does not come forward, the site will be shut down by July for being in payment default [I will pay for the site until the end of March]
4. If someone does step forward, they will need to start paying as of April 1st $77/bin-annually and decide how they will collect the funds from existing members
So, the group has two options to deal with the above:
1. Follow the above path or let the site become inactive next summer
2. If you are a Waskahegan member, lobby the board to maintain support for the site.
As members you can certainly ask the board to develop evening walks even if they are not on the trail. Our by-laws state that WTA will "to provide for its members and interested people a program of hikes and other outdoor activities in the Edmonton district and elsewhere...". Thursday evening walks [or Saturday AM or etc.] fit this definition. But, you need to ask for them and be willing to organize them.
Fundamentally I hope the group consensus is to go with #2. This means that your efforts ultimately go to support a volunteer organization in your community that benefits you and your neighbors. That is not to say there is not some benefit to the community with #1, but for basically the same effort you can double your community service impact impact. As well, you will be part of a larger organization that can provide support.
To put my money and time where my mouth is, if you go with option #2, I will happy stay as the grand-pooh-bah of the site for at least another year and ensure the site continues to be paid for. If you go with option #1, I wish you
the very best. I have met some great people through this site, present company included.
Please let me know your wishes by the end of this
|A former member||
Thank you for this informative e-mail. I would like to e-mail Barb from the WTA. I was only able to get an e-mail for the WTA President when I looked at the WTA website. Is it okay to use this e-mail or should I use another address?
Thanks for letting me know,
|A former member||
Thanks Erica, Barb is a member of this site and can be reached at: