The Edmonton Hiking/Walking Meetup Group Message Board › a summer hike in the mountians

a summer hike in the mountians

A former member
Post #: 1
This is just a feeler to see if any one has interest in doing a long day hike in the mountains this coming summer. I am planning on doing a hike up centennial ridge in kanasksis, and there are two possible routs up the ridge. This hike would most likely be planned for late July/ early August. It would also be a full weekend outing with a hotel stay. we would Drive up on an Friday afternoon, hike all Saturday, then drive back Sunday. Nothing beats an extended soak in a hotel hot tub after a hard hike.

http://trailpeak.com/...­

Centennial Ridge

South Approach Hiking Trail

Difficulty Rating: Very Difficult
Distance: 13.8 km return. Elevation gain: 1350 metres. Time: 9 hours return.
This trail is closed from April 1 to June 21 for wildlife management.
Location: From Canmore, drive 35 km east on Highway 1 towards Calgary to the Highway 40 exit and drive south into Kananaskis Country. The trailhead is 23 km. south at the Ribbon Creek Day Use area near Kananaskis Village.
Description: This trail offers some of the best views of any trail in this area. Constructed by Calgary's Rocky Mountain Ramblers to celebrate Canada's Centennial in 1967, it's the highest maintained trail in Canada. At the sign in the Ribbon Creek parking lot, go north on Hidden Trail. After hiking about 200 meters, tum left and start the long climb to Centennial Ridge. The views are well worth it. Don't forget to bring your camera!

North Approach Hiking Trail

Distance: 21 km return. Elevation gain: 1400 metres. Time: 12 hours return.
This trail is closed from April 1 to June 21 each year for wildlife management.
Location: From Canmore, drive 7 km east on Highway 1 towards Calgary and use Alpine Resort Haven exit. The trailhead parking lot is 1.25 km, just before the Resort.
Description: At the trailhead follow the road under the Skogan Pass power lines which swings west toward 2 creeks. After the first creek, turn left and follow the road - there are red markers on the south of the creek. It is an extremely steep road which climbs past several coal seams, but it eventually eases after gaining about 500 metres of elevation. The road ends near the treeline and a narrow trail takes you along the slopes of Mount Collembola. The trail continues up a dangerous grassy slope (Use Caution!) where eventually the precipice of Mount Lougheed can be enjoyed. The walk up to the summit of Mount Allan has some of the best views in the Rockies - from Mount Temple up near Lake Louise to the skyscrapers of Calgary.
Barbara T
user 9512542
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 7
This is just a feeler to see if any one has interest in doing a long day hike in the mountains this coming summer. I am planning on doing a hike up centennial ridge in kanasksis, and there are two possible routs up the ridge. This hike would most likely be planned for late July/ early August. It would also be a full weekend outing with a hotel stay. we would Drive up on an Friday afternoon, hike all Saturday, then drive back Sunday. Nothing beats an extended soak in a hotel hot tub after a hard hike.

http://trailpeak.com/...­

Centennial Ridge

South Approach Hiking Trail

Distance: 13.8 km return. Elevation gain: 1350 metres. Time: 9 hours return.
This trail is closed from April 1 to June 21 for wildlife management.
Location: From Canmore, drive 35 km east on Highway 1 towards Calgary to the Highway 40 exit and drive south into Kananaskis Country. The trailhead is 23 km. south at the Ribbon Creek Day Use area near Kananaskis Village.
Description: This trail offers some of the best views of any trail in this area. Constructed by Calgary's Rocky Mountain Ramblers to celebrate Canada's Centennial in 1967, it's the highest maintained trail in Canada. At the sign in the Ribbon Creek parking lot, go north on Hidden Trail. After hiking about 200 meters, tum left and start the long climb to Centennial Ridge. The views are well worth it. Don't forget to bring your camera!

North Approach Hiking Trail

Distance: 21 km return. Elevation gain: 1400 metres. Time: 12 hours return.
This trail is closed from April 1 to June 21 each year for wildlife management.
Location: From Canmore, drive 7 km east on Highway 1 towards Calgary and use Alpine Resort Haven exit. The trailhead parking lot is 1.25 km, just before the Resort.
Description: At the trailhead follow the road under the Skogan Pass power lines which swings west toward 2 creeks. After the first creek, turn left and follow the road - there are red markers on the south of the creek. It is an extremely steep road which climbs past several coal seams, but it eventually eases after gaining about 500 metres of elevation. The road ends near the treeline and a narrow trail takes you along the slopes of Mount Collembola. The trail continues up a dangerous grassy slope (Use Caution!) where eventually the precipice of Mount Lougheed can be enjoyed. The walk up to the summit of Mount Allan has some of the best views in the Rockies - from Mount Temple up near Lake Louise to the skyscrapers of Calgary.

Sounds very interesting, but out of my league. I do like the idea of a weekend hike, followed by a hotel/w hotub stay. But I have only done 8-10km hikes in the city parks on fairly level ground. I don't think I can handle dangerous, very difficult terrain yet.
A former member
Post #: 553
That sounds like a blast, but unfortunately the most "extreme" hiking we do is in Drumheller - since there's some nice hiking trails that are easy enough to maneuver with 2 Chariots and 3 little ones in them and a 9 year old that can keep up.
This is way out of my league as well, just because we have too many small kids, which I couldn't leave for any length of time.
Rob
user 6977758
Calgary, AB
Post #: 119
Mt. Allan/Centennial Ridge is nothing more than a very long hike. Seniors do it. People do it in December. In fact, it is the mountain on the far right side of my profile pic (taken from the top of Mt. Lougheed). If you're interested, we'll probably throw this hike in for the Spring. Come on down. You can hook up with CORA: http://www.meetup.com...­.
Rob
user 6977758
Calgary, AB
Post #: 161
Any of you from the Edmonton group who are interested in doing this trip for Canada Day are welcome to join us. Drop me a line and we'll get you out. For the event details go here: http://www.meetup.com...­. Cheers.