Toronto Electric Riders Association Message Board Where to buy an e-bike or e-bike accessories? › Emmo H5 review from a new ebiker

Emmo H5 review from a new ebiker

Ryan
user 13972096
Toronto, ON
Post #: 1
Greetings EV nerds. I'm a new acolyte. I thought I'd post my experiences with our first ebike.

I had noticed these quite things zipping about the neighbourhood and was vaguely jealous of how easy they looked, and how quiet they were. After reading up on the whole legal situation re:bikelanes and the rest, I decided that I wanted to try out a kind of starter bike.

Our situation (my wife and I, both of whom will be riding) was such that it seemed like a pretty good fit: basically we don't need the ebike at all. It's purely a convenience / fun thing for us. We have happily used a combination of TTC and Zipcar for about 10 years, with the occasional cab, and have saved tons of money in doing so. I have my full G-class license and actually love to drive (my first and last car was a 5-speed standard, lots of fun) but I hate the pain of parking/registration/insurance. So the ebike is not a money thing for us, I'm just sort of annoyed at inner city traffic in general. In addition, we have a very narrow shared laneway at our house, but also a sealed garage, so a scooter seemed perfect.

The idea was to use it to get light groceries (storage important), around to friends in the neighbourhood, errands, and occasional commuting (less than 10k away).

So after some research, I bought one of these about 4 days ago: an Emmo H5.

Stats available here.

Pros

Style. I love the way this thing looks. It's retro done right. Almost looks like it's from WW2. I love round headlights and the old school mirrors. The "engine casing" under the seat is perfect. And I like that it's black. It doesn't particularly scream "electric scooter", in fact most people who've seen it so far are surprised when I tell them that it runs on batteries, since it looks so conventional, and it's easy to miss the pedals sticking out (these fold up though so they haven't been an issue, snagging things).

Driving. It handles very nicely, or at least as far as my newbie sensibilities can tell. Only took a few minutes to get accustomed to how the throttle behaves. My feet always feel kinda dumb just sitting there on the platform but not in a bad way. The thumb controls are easy to reach. It accelerates - well not super quickly, but quick enough that I don't feel like I'm holding things up most of the time. On the one steeper hill I've climbed (Jones ave under the train trestle) I did feel the motor slowing down noticeably, but it got me up the hill just fine. Overall it behaves basically as I thought it would. It's a two-wheeled golf cart. :)

Storage. This is where the H5 really shines. This thing has tons of storage, more than any other ebike (or scooter for that matter) that I saw. The back storage pod is roomy enough for a bag of groceries, and the seat has another compartment inside that can fit a half-helmet easily. Also there's a large pocket inside the steering column that can accomodate two (!) travel-mug coffee canisters or a purse with no problem. There's also a small hook which I'm not sure the purpose of.

Extras. The bike has an alarm system, which is awesome and hilarious. Not just a screeching thing when it's wiggled too much (pretty sensitive but not overly so), but a rear wheel immobilizer which is great. It came with separate keys for ignition and storage. It came with a remote keychain, which lets you arm/disarm the bike (great) and also remote start it (strange and pointless, but doesn't hurt anything). It has a high beam mode for the headlight. The signal lights and brake lights are clear and obvious, and look really nice. The seat is super comfy, and despite being dark, doesn't seem to get ridiculously hot in the sun.

Cons

Build quality. Since this ebike is basically made out of ABS (I think) masquerading as metal, it has some quirks and tiny imperfections that seem to be a combination of the nature of the material, and the QA of the source parts (mostly Chinese). There were some small scuff marks on some of the piping and rear mirror arms. Nothing very noticeable but it was there. The cuts of the seat cover and storage pod, while accurate, are obvious when you open anything up – they didn't paint the inside and it sort of ruins the convincing outer effect. The speedo and battery display is alright, nothing special. When illuminated at night (nice touch), it only seems to light up some random parts of the display, and not the needles, which is annoying.

I've given more of a pass to some of this stuff than I would maybe normally, because it is all tempered by the fact that this ebike was, frankly, cheap. Just not a very big investment. And as I mentioned above, it's considered to be out "starter" ebike.

Manuals. There are none. I got a super crappy photocopied manual of translated english telling me how to charge the battery, and a "checklist" really meant for the Emmo guy who sold me the ebike. This frankly sucks. Emmo, seriously, get on your manuals. There's a "coming soon" acrobat link on emmo.ca for these manuals. Since it's a newer model, it's very difficult to get any info about the ebike outside of the base specs.

Pedals. So, this bike cannot realistically be pedalled at all. They truly are a fig leaf to classify it as an ebike, 'cause in most other respects, it's just a light/slow scooter. The pedals are spaced awkwardly and the bike weighs about 180 lbs. I knew this going in, and I basically sacrificed any degree of pedal power for extra storage. I have a regular bike and quite like it, so I will use that on occasions that warrant it (or when I feel like it), so this made sense to me. If it ever dies, I'm walking it home, not pedalling.

Mixed

Range. I actually don't really have a good idea of the range of the ebike but so far it has performed very well. I rode it home from the shop on a partial-charge (mostly full) from College & Spadina over to the Danforth area near Coxwell and it barely put a dent. I did a ride of 15K the night I got it to try out the headlights and illuminated dash, and that also seemed to only eat about 15-20%, as far as the indicator was concerned. Will try a longer ride soon to really see how far it'll go.

So overall I quite like it. Wife is very pleased as well. It affords us some nice flexibility, and even opens up some possibilities that we hadn't originally considered – such as access to more Zipcars (drive scooter to zipcar parking space, swap, rinse, repeat). There are some aspects I'm not thrilled with but overall they seem great. I really love how quiet it is – motorcycles are very cool, but I'm enough of a nerd to be sort of offended at the noise they produce on an efficiency level, and I don't want to go "backwards" to a combustion engine, if I can help it. I almost liken a motorcycle to a laptop, whereas an EV bike seems more like an iPad – much more limited in several ways, but also much more interesting as a general user, and clearly the future. :) I'd rather wait for ebikes to get better. I still plan on getting an M-class license however, just for the future.
A former member
Post #: 4,733
AWESOME first post Ryan! Welcome to ebiking and the TERA forums!

Lock

*EDIT* ...now I'm thinking we should crack a separate forum here just for reviews of different ebike models. This stuff is just soooo golden. Shame to be buried in the other forums traffic over time...
Ryan
user 13972096
Toronto, ON
Post #: 2
Thanks. I just wish I hadn't posted in the wrong forum. d'oh.

Can we move it? Or can I just re-post this in Experiences?
E_BIKE Freedom! Ch...
user 14464588
Stevensville, ON
Post #: 469
Excellent review ...and funny too.

"There's also a small hook which I'm not sure the purpose of."

I use mine to hang my half helmet or an extra bag of groceries.

You posted in the right forum for people looking for a thorough ,honest and funny review of a sweet bike.

I bought my Motorino for the same reasons-retro WW2 -cool.

http://www.e-ride.ca/...­

I would of bought yours if they were available at the time away down south here in the southern gold coasts of On-tar-y-airy-O

Welcome to the forum...love the review...

"wash-rinse-repeat"biggrin

You and your wife are very fortunate to live life so well.

Are you reading your speed from a GPS phone?

Have you seen these?

http://www.ebikes.ca/...­

Cheers

look forward to your next post.

A former member
Post #: 4,738
Thanks. I just wish I hadn't posted in the wrong forum. d'oh.
Can we move it? Or can I just re-post this in Experiences?

Yah man... I hope we can set up a separate/new forum here to "capture" reviews like yours... David has already said "Buy and Sell Non-Commercial" works but I hope more folks here will comment (see other thread about setting up a new forum.)

Aside... David, I'm thinking too a couple of/three years down the road... There'll be new ebikers shopping second-hand and Ryans perspective may be lost on older models where sellers only have new model info on their sites... I haven't been following the used ebike for sale activity in Ontario on Craigslist et al but I expect it to "explode" soon if not already... Recent news from Holland for example:
Business in Used E-Bikes Is Expanding in the Netherlands

And Ryan... I'm no Ebike nerd... biggrin

...at least I don't want to be... All *I* want is reliable "low footprint" transportation that does not blow exhaust in my neighbours faces... or threaten them and their children with death and dismemberment if I suffer a moment of inattention. I gave up the car (smoking tailpipe) right about the time my family doctor explained that my two young daughters had lung problems because of "urban air quality"...

Having said this... I revel in the simple physics and chemistry lessons that commuting on a "gas tank" (battery) that has an energy capacity of about 1/3 of one cup of gasoline can teach us...
biggrin

Lock
E_BIKE Freedom! Ch...
user 14464588
Stevensville, ON
Post #: 473
I need to write a review of my mo-to....

off to get another cold beer and start writing...

Good Day

Cheers
Ben Jamin
Ben_Jamin
Toronto, ON
Post #: 777
Yes, Ryan,very well written review, better than what many journalists do. -"Emmo H5 review from a new ebiker", logically belongs in the already established "EMMO Owners" thread - http://www.ebikerider...­ - within the "Where To Buy . ." category.

I almost bought a pair of H5's last year, but went with the same model we have always ridden (Urban), but the new whips have 48/20 lithium packs. EMMO's owner plans to have lithium packs available for all his models a.s.a.p., he says.

Again, great piece on the H5, thank you Ryan, keep 'em coming!

rolling cheers ~
A former member
Post #: 95
Yes, Ryan,very well written review, better than what many journalists do. -"Emmo H5 review from a new ebiker", logically belongs in the already established "EMMO Owners" thread - http://www.ebikerider...­ - within the "Where To Buy . ." category.

I almost bought a pair of H5's last year, but went with the same model we have always ridden (Urban), but the new whips have 48/20 lithium packs. EMMO's owner plans to have lithium packs available for all his models a.s.a.p., he says.

Again, great piece on the H5, thank you Ryan, keep 'em coming!

rolling cheers ~

agreed with Ben,,,,plz move the thread to where it belongs, The Emmo Thread!

Glad to hear ya love yer new bike Ryan and if any more questions about it, or emmo, do let us know, here to help!

:)
A former member
Post #: 1
Ryan, a great review of your new H5....You can write! I've had my H5 since August 2011 and enjoy it. Distance: example...Yonge and Bloor to Bathurst and Hwy #407, for a full charge allow 5 hours. From empty one would need at least 8 hours for a full charge. You can get some fair distance, but you'll need some time for your return trip.

Ian.
Pickles
user 28775502
Toronto, ON
Post #: 8
There should be a separate sub-forum for bike reviews. Some of the bikes are sold in different stores under different names and some of the bikes will have been sold second hand with the original store unknown. The forum will attract more prospective ebikers by putting all the bike reviews in one place.

The store threads should be used to discuss stuff like knowledge of staff, models and parts carried, how the store dealt with service issues etc.

My 2 cents.