A former member
Post #: 118
I like the fact that Veloteq are 750W and designed for Americans by Americans and their Need for Speed and a speed governor is added for them to sell in Canada. Veloteq designed the E-Scooter and had it made in China to their specs.

Motorino are straight from China to Vancouver and they only use a 500W motor. Motorino buys up whatever the Chinese have to sell them and that sucks.

Comes down to who you'd rather support with your money. Personally I prefer Veloteq because their continued success gives them the cash to continue researching and upgrading their products.

Veloteq bikes are the same luyan bikes that everyone sells and re-brands. The motors they use in Canada are only 500 watt. I did a lot of extensive research before buying my bike. The reason I went with Motorino is because their motor's are designed by them (yes they are made in china but they were engineered and designed in Canada). Veloteq uses the exact same motors and parts that Daymak, Blueavenue etc..... all use.

Also keep in mind I physically inspected the bike and parts. Before purchasing I even called their head offices to discuss parts. I also talked to vendors across Canada selling the bikes to find the differences. If you are going off what you read on the internet be careful cus there is misinformation everywhere.

I literally looked at the parts being used to build the Veloteq bikes, they seriously are the exact same parts being used by Daymak, Blueavenue, Mobility unlimited etc.... What separates Motorino is the motor they designed, their tires, abs hydraulic brakes (these are the BEST let me tell ya, I can stop on a dime). All companies use gas scooter frames. Even the shells are all the same.

Like I was saying, its best to actually go look at them for yourself and test them both to see.
A former member
Post #: 131
So I guess in your research you missed this part below about the Veloteq E-Scooters LOL

I checked with Greenwit and they say their Motors are only 500W not 750W.

I contacted Greenwit about their Brakes and they didn't even know what the diameter was. Same people who thought their wheels were 10 inches in diameter.

Dart Specifications: 4 x 12v/12Ah batteries, recharge time 2-8 hours, approx. travel range, full power 35 miles, motor 750W output limited to 500W (Canada), controller 750W, FR/RR drum brakes, tires 16 x2.50
Roger C.
JoeRocket
Toronto, ON
Post #: 122
Veloteq bikes are the same luyan bikes that everyone sells and re-brands. The motors they use in Canada are only 500 watt. I did a lot of extensive research before buying my bike. The reason I went with Motorino is because their motor's are designed by them (yes they are made in china but they were engineered and designed in Canada). Veloteq uses the exact same motors and parts that Daymak, Blueavenue etc..... all use.

Also keep in mind I physically inspected the bike and parts. Before purchasing I even called their head offices to discuss parts. I also talked to vendors across Canada selling the bikes to find the differences. If you are going off what you read on the internet be careful cus there is misinformation everywhere.

I literally looked at the parts being used to build the Veloteq bikes, they seriously are the exact same parts being used by Daymak, Blueavenue, Mobility unlimited etc.... What separates Motorino is the motor they designed, their tires, abs hydraulic brakes (these are the BEST let me tell ya, I can stop on a dime). All companies use gas scooter frames. Even the shells are all the same.

Like I was saying, its best to actually go look at them for yourself and test them both to see.

There's some truth to both sides. Veloteq's 2010 line-up of e-bikes includes hydraulic brakes and front suspension improvements. That said, I can already stop on a dime with my 2009 model Challenger RSV, which I love. Riding the Motorino, with its 3-level adjustment torque switch though, gives the ride a bit more pep on starts and up steeper hills. Some Motorino models don't allow for removable batteries, so you're SOL if you can't find an available outlet to plug in. In my case, I can remove the 62-pound battery from the bike and schlep it up the elevator to my apartment easily enough. YMMV.
A former member
Post #: 122
The veloteq website http://www.veloteq.com/catalog_sseb_2010/veloteq_sseb_prod_042010.pdf­

The motor is talked about on page 3

The same Luyan Motor http://visforvoltage.org/files/u37/djsm.jpg­

You should ask your good friend Lock, even he talked about how the majority of this bikes come from the same luyan factory

Im not saying your situation isn't valid. Obviously your experience has seriously marred you opinion of them, I get that.

The people over at veloteq must be just as daft as the motorino ppl cus they are the ones that confirmed my findings when I was doing my research.

But going back what my suggestion to Ryan was and that is to try them both and form his own opinion.
A former member
Post #: 681
You should ask your good friend Lock, even he talked about how the majority of this bikes come from the same luyan factory
HEY! Where did I day THAT?
Luyuan bills themselves as Chinas largest mfgr of ebikes... perhaps true, but there are hundreds of companies offering ebikes. Most only actually manufacturing one or a few of the components, but assembling complete vehicles from parts bought from other manufacturers. There are many centers for ebikes (and gas 2/3/4-wheeled vehicles as well) but when I first started poking around to see watt was going on it was Yongkang that I found as one of the first areas making these things, at that time a city of about 1/2 mill persons that had over 300 companies offering ebikes for sale. Imagine the City of Toronto with a core pop of maybe 2.5 mill and over 1,500 companies offering ebikes for sale! The sense I get is that some of these companies have specialized (like Luyuan) and have grown in this time but there're still many smaller companies offering ebikes as a sideline along with their main offerings (BBQs, exercise equipment, kitchen pots and pans, etc etc etc)
Luyuan in Jinhua is only about 60km down the road from Yongkang.
Most folks will know about how the North American auto industry is de-centralized, with manufacturers relying on other suppliers for many parts and sub-assemblies and the China ebike industry is no different, `cept that many of the smaller suppliers make almost none of the ebikes they sell. Maybe the kick stand or the carbon brushes in the motor or the plastic body parts...
I have to assume that dealing with a company like Luyuan that *only* makes and sells ebikes will be a safer bet for quality and service. I doubt that many of the component parts in the Luyuan vehicles are unique to Luyuan though, and are probably common to many other ebikes being sold by other suppliers.

On the subject of watt ratings for motors and controllers, there are plenty of examples of controllers being sold where the watt rating is checked off in a box where the label on the controller case offers a range of wattage rating boxes to choose from... One controller label might offer a range from 200W to 750W... just check off the right box!

The hobbists "work" this. They open up the controllers and maybe replace the capacitors and solder the shunts to increase the Amps and Volts that the controller can handle continuously, with no other changes to the controllers... And there are plenty of examples of folks running motors nominally rated as only 400W wattever at twice their rated power levels with no ill effects.

So I'm pretty sure that ratings are a lot of smoke and mirrors. It's the same motors and controllers, just minor component differences in the controller and different labels to satisfy diff. market/legalities...

Lock
bill
user 9992049
Kitchener, ON
Post #: 31
As a Veloteq rider now on my second year I have no complaints about the bike. I have 870 kil on it since last summer. My dealer here in Kitchener (Waterloo) is great. I have seen alot of the other china built bikes around here and have talked to alot of the owners and they have alot of complaints about quality, service and stuff. All I get about my bike is WOW thats a great looking bike and how many problems have I had and of coarse I answer no problems. The quality is so superior to the other scooters I have seen. Now this is just one guys opinon about Veloteq but this is from one that rides it every day to work

A former member
Post #: 123
Well then, I guess it is possible that there are 750 watt motors in veloteq bikes sold in Canada :)

A former member
Post #: 56
Prices range from $1299 to $1999 (plus taxes) for Veloteq Bikes at the shops in Ontario. There are also discounts on demo bikes and ones with minor nicks and ticks from test rides from customers who are just learning about braking as well as shipping incidents. There are also discounts on brand new 2009 models if you are not fussy about colour. It is best to visit the shops in person to see what they have available, or give them a call and ask if they have any discounted bikes for any particular reason. They are probably a little more firm on brand new 2010 models because of supply and demand, but "free delivery" and "free bike covers" or "rain poncho's" are negotiable.
A former member
Post #: 4
Hi Ryan,

I've been riding my Veloteq since I bought it late last year and absolutely adore it. Sometimes I think I spend more time and money on it, than on my friends . . . ah. . . what's that about the difference between men and boys, is just the cost of their toys?

1. Does it run great/ Not much maintenance?

No major issues to deal with, always runs smoothly. Had a couple of initial issues, their was a grinding sound caused by something not right originally with the ball bearings inside the rear wheel, but the Veloteq dealer fixed it free under warranty.

I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I hand off most of the maintenance to my experienced -- and more than helpful -- dealer. They are always very friendly, and provide exceptional service -- they have actually picked it up after work from my home, and dropped it off for me within a couple of days afterwards -- don't know any car dealer that would do that!

I've had the oil changed, and the dealer had a special spring tune up (cost about $80) where they inspect major components, and make additional adjustments (such as tightening the breaks, checking the lights, etc. . . ) where needed.

My biggest gripe is the alarm system which comes built-in. Sometimes I can arm the alarm, sometimes I can't. Sometimes I can't disarm the alarm once set, with the remote -- I have to actually unplug the battery and let it sit without power for couple of minutes. Just like when you take your car to the mechanic, last time I had the bike at the dealer's for service, the alarm worked perfectly, so they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I'll get this looked at the next time I have it in for service.

2. Where did you buy it from?

I purchased my ebike from Veloteq Corporation (East) 1305 Morningside Ave Unit 11 Scarborough,Ontario M1B 4Z5 -- you can contact them here:

http://www.smartscoot...­

3. How much and which brand(optional)

Got a 2009 Veloteq Commander SHO for just under $1,800, and it came with a free cover, poncho and tool kit. I got an end-of-season deal, because I purchased it in Oct/Nov. I test drove a bunch of the models, and fell in love with the Commander SHO -- it is bigger and has a more "sporty" ride than the others, but they all drove very well.

Since getting it, I use the cover all the time -- especially when it rains and I'm parking outside. The poncho is really good at keeping you and the bike dry, but I've since purchased a waterproof motorcycle jacket which is better -- it has protective armor (padding in all the crash zones), reflective stitching (so you can be seen at night), and it is tight to your body (so you don't blow around like a kite, a problem with the poncho).