Brian
BrianMittler
Mississauga, ON
Post #: 1
I'm trying to locate the company in China that makes the Baja BE 500. I have looked at many scooters and have found one that looks like my bike EM0917, made at Zhejiang Legend Electric Vehicle Co. Ltd. Can some one tell me if this is correct?

I have had the bike since last year and Baja is no help. Battery charger cooked batteries under warranty. They said that they would send new batteries but nothing happened. I have replaced batteries and I'm looking for the manufacture for parts as required.
A former member
Post #: 56
The ones that are sold at Canadian Tire are by Baja.

As far as the charger, it is a generic 2.5A charger if I remember correctly. You can go to ebay and find one for about $25 dollars or so.

I remember a few members here bought the ones with the DIN type connector and they cut it and replaced it with a PC type plug and that did the job.

For other parts the site is in US (google baja be500) and you can get parts from there - kind of expensive though.
A former member
Post #: 2,152
Hi Brian
Looks like that Baja bike has a fairly standard scooter-style 48V 20Ah pack. This means it is built up by wiring four 12V 20Ah batteries in series, and these 12V 20Ah batts should be available from most ebike sellers. Two basic types of these batteries either have just slip-on terminals or (better) threaded terminals with nuts. Ya can open up your battery case (if the Baja has such a thing) or get to the batteries and see what you have. Then ya either shop for batts with the identical style of terminals or be prepared to cut off the old wire terminations and replace with what mates w/the terminals on the new batteries.

And yah, just about any 48V charger for sealed lead acid batteries will do. Most battery mfgrs spec about 20% maximum rate of charge, so for a 20Ah pack ya should be fine up to a 4A charger. A smaller charger eg 2.5A would be fine too, just takes longer to charge.

Yah may need to cut the plug off the old charger to replace the plug on the new charger if the plug style doesn't match. Also not difficult, but accidently reversing the plug polarity in the process is not an option!

As you have seen, cheap chargers can be a bit of a gamble. One of the best upgrades a new ebiker can make is to go to a high quality charger to help protect the pack for long life.

I like the Canadian company Soneil:
http://soneil.com/

Specs on their 4808SRF model:
http://soneil.com/Completesets/4808SRF.pdf­

That charger is rated as nominal 3.5A so would charge about 40% faster than a 2.5A rated charger...

Econogics in Ottawa sells them:
http://www.econogics.com/Soneil/sonorder.htm#48V­

...$185 plus shipping and HST.

Ya can find cheaper chargers out there, but not higher quality or design.

Again, a 48V 2.5-4A charger is a pretty generic thing, and most ebike shops should have these for sale.

Alternatively, ya can look at the many threads here about upgrading packs from lead to lithium...

Lock