Karneval is going strong in Germany and Cologne.
But, instead of getting on a plane, why not visit German soil without actually leaving DC - for an incredible Koln Karneval Celebration as Germany's Cultural Center opens its doors exclusively for OUR MEETUP.
In a single evening, join us for a truly amazing cultural celebration as we take you across the Atlantic to the old mystique of the Rhine and the charm of Wiesbaden. Tonight, we present you with a special taste of German culture with a unique touch of the Cologne/Köln Karneval Celebration. In addition to sampling German cuisine, music, dancing, live shows, etc. we will bring the Köln Karneval celebration (taking place in Germany at the same time) directly to Washington, D.C. Experience a true German Karneval night of German food, beer and wines (open bar), music, native dancing, comedy, late night DJ, film, and more!
1) GERMAN CUISINE & OPEN BAR: Experience a native buffet of true and exquisite German delicacies, with plenty of entrees followed by special German sweets and treats. Also, sample our array of the finest German wines and beer - including the Kolsch Beer - Früh-Kölsch ("Frui-Kilch")! Non alcoholic beverages will be available as well. MENU: - Beef Stroganoff - Red Cabbage - Nürnberger Bratwürste (Sausage) - Tomato Salad - Cous -Cous with Vegetable array - Pasta Salad - Mixed Green Salad ...and for dessert - German Apple Strudel with Whipped cream
2) LIVE GERMAN KARNEVAL DANCE PRESENTATION : Taking center stage for a 20 minute presentation, dressed in pure German Karneval style, we'll marvel at a fantastic presentation set to classic and modern German Karneval favorites! We'll also be treated to a live native dance presentation with German folk music, singing, dancing, a classic German musical number, and many more surprises...! Includes dance lessons!
3) GERMAN MUSIC (First Half) Through the music, we will be transported to the center of Germany and recreate the Köln Karneval! Sing along and dance to German classic Karneval tunes as well as modern Karneval hits.
4) MOVIE: To quench your thirst for German travel and cultural interests, partake in a viewing of the scenery, culture and people of Germany.
5) DJ & DANCING: In the last hours of the evening, one of Washington, D.C.'s greatest D.J.s takes us to Germany's hottest nightclubs (containing some of the best in Europe) with the best in retro, salsa, swing, modern high energy, hip hop and top 40 dancing - German style!
6) OPTIONAL MASQUERADE CELEBRATION: We will find the most festive masks and Karneval outfits for those who (OPTIONALLY) choose to participate. Prizes will be awarded to the top costumes. 7) DIPLOMATIC GREETING: We will be inviting diplomats from the embassy and the Goethe Institute and greet you and discuss some of their own reflections about celebrating Karneval at home.
ABOUT KARENVAL: Karneval season is a time of flamboyant fancy-dress parties and costume-balls in Germany. Deeply rooted in German culture and history, the oldest surviving records on Karneval date back to 1341. In the Middle Ages, Karneval gave the people a break from the tightly structured class system, as they were able to hide their social background behind imaginative masks and costumes. Poor people were able to mix with all other levels of society and share fun with them. In those days people would dress up as knights, damsels and even priests, as a way of making fun of them. People these days sometimes wear masks which make fun of well-known politicians or celebrities. Nowhere in the world are the celebrations as festive as at the world-famous Cologne Karneval, a merry, multicolored people celebration, called "the fifth season" by Cologners themselves.
Note: This is primarily a stand up, buffet style reception with limited seating throughout the evening. We will have limited tables and chairs, but will not be able to accommodate seating for all attendees at one time. If you have any special needs, please email us in advance.
Suggested Attire: Smart Casual or Karneval Masquerade Style Tonight, you are invited to dress as elegantly as you wish or - perhaps - in the spirit of the Karneval and masquerade yourself throughout this fantastic evening. Köln Karneval.
Price Subject to Increase each Friday Evening.