2107 Massachusetts Avenue Northwest, Washington, DC
Travel halfway around the world without leaving Washington as we invite you to a wonderful evening at the Embassy of India. Step onto foreign soil for a night of Indian cuisine, art, music, dance, diplomas and more!
1. INDIAN FOOD Sample authentic cuisine typically found in India. Includes: Samosas (Vegetarian with Potato and Pea) Fresh Mango Tamarand Chutney Chicken Tikki Paneer Makhani (Cheese with Creamy Tomato) Lamb Curry Kashmiri Pulau (Rice with Saffron and Dried Fruits Aloo Gobbi (Potatoes and Cauliflower with Spices and Garlic) Padus Vegetable Salad (Includes Fresh Vegetables, Spinach and Chickpeas Cucumber Raita Naan Kesai Kheer (A Rich Rice Pudding with Cardamon)
2. REFRESHMENTS Enjoy a variety of Indian and regional wines and other non alcoholic refreshments.
3. INDIAN MUSICAL PRESENTATION Marvel at the special presentation of Nishta Raj's Indian cultural musical performance. In full costume, they will offer us through music centuries of India's interpretive history and multi-regional culture. Using a classical violin, coupled with a modern "hip hop" style performer, we'll embrace classical and modern Indian history through her extraordinarily talented performance.
ABOUT THE FEATURED PERFORMER: Nistha Raj transports to international audiences a rare, evocative and soothing sound of classical North Indian (Hindustani) music on the 5-string acoustic violin. A distinguished performer and teacher of Hindustani classical and Western classical violin in the Washington, DC community, Nistha has performed in the United Nations, The Kennedy Center for Performing Arts, and the Indian Embassy in Washington, DC. Internationally, she has performed at the U.S. Embassy in Colombia, and Poland, and Canada. Nistha is a recipient of multiple grants from the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities, including the 2012 Artist Fellowship. A versatile musician, Nistha pursues new horizons through a melding of tradition with contemporary innovation. She performs regularly with the Jazz trio The Fourth Stream, partners with GRAMMY nominated hip hop artist Christylez Bacon and six-string electric cellist Wytold, and has recorded on rock band NRI’s album.
4. DIPLOMATIC GREETING: Meet diplomats and the staff from the Embassy as they talk and answer questions about India. A special representative will officially welcome us.
5. INDIAN FILM: See the beautiful lands, culture and people of India as we preview a film prepared by the embassy.
6. INDIAN ART: Tour the embassy’s native collection of beautiful paintings, sculptures and other artistic pieces.
Refunds offered if:
Payments you make go to the organizer, not to Meetup. You must make refund requests to the organizer.