The English-Speaking Mums of Paris Message Board › Not here yet!

Not here yet!

A former member
Post #: 23
Hi all, We are living in Singapore right now but are contracting and by nature of this work means we have to jump ship (countries very quickly) we will be coming to Paris to live in the next couple of months and know nothing about living in Paris. Does anyone have any advice on schools for a 7 and 3 year old? Do you have to register in Paris to allow your child to go to pre-school? Any idea of fee's? Is there such a thing as a local school that combines English/French without having to pay huge fee's? What area would be ok to live with children? How is it to live in Paris? Too many questions but any advice greatly appreciated as you may see from the above we are unassisted by a particular company.
Thanks so much Monique.
Jennie C.
jennie1977
Paris, FR
Post #: 26
Hi, to register at the school, you will need to go to the local town hall (mairie) of where you live and they will allocate you a place in the local public school. School is available for all children from the age of 3 years. There are also alot of fee-paying bilingual private schools, the fees can be quite reasonable compared to say a private school in the UK or US. The school you choose will depend where you live - you may want to look in relation to where you will be working. Paris isnt the best for little kids as many places are not stroller friendly ( including the metro) but once they walk it is ok!
A former member
Post #: 24
Thanks Jennie for the advice... A little helps a lot!
A former member
Post #: 9
Hi Monique I just sent you a private reply, but I thought I would put it online just in case someone else had a similar query. The bilingual schools here are reasonable compared to what you would pay in the US or the UK. I like this one www.eabjm.org because it is bilingual and cheaper than the British School or any of the other IB schools. It also has a rolling application, so do give it a go.
A former member
Post #: 25
Hi Sharon, yes thanks so much this school does look very interesting indeed. Certainly cheaper than some schools, we are lucky here in Singapore that my daughter attends a local school and loves it, although mandarin for her has proved difficult! Won't have that problem soon, I'm sure French will be easier for her!!
A former member
Post #: 10
Oops - I also just realised that your 3 year old might not be old enough to get into eabjm so this is where my younger daughter went - http://preschoolmusic...­ and we loved it! We're not an expat package here in France, so we needed to find some good value for money options. I also had some excellent reviews from this school also - http://www.ecoleaujou...­