English teachers in Paris Message Board › Cancellations of classes when teaching business English

Cancellations of classes when teaching business English

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello all,

This is my first time posting to this board. I'm hoping to tap into other people's business English-teaching experiences.

What is a typical arrangement for teaching one-on-one business English, through a placement agency, and the learner cancels a lesson last-minute? I'm sure it depends on the contract, but I'm wondering what the industy standard is.

I've got a situation where I agreed to a schedule of (mostly Skype) classes, but the learners (who also approved the schedule) frequently cancel an hour or two ahead. The placement agency says "too bad, no teaching, no pay." Then they want me to find a make-up session for this person. Because of the timing, the hour I had reserved for them cannot be used to book a new lesson with another client, so it's a wash for me. In some cases I have also arranged paid childcare for that hour and then have no income to offset it.

Although I can see why a business person would have last-minute demands, this set-up seems absurd. In fact, it's just not sustainable for me. (Fortunately it is a brief contract.)

But I am curious: is this something other trainers put up with? Last-minute changes to pre-arranged class times and no pay for classes canceled by the learner?

Thanks in adavnce for any feedback!
Sean L.
user 6134483
Group Organizer
Berlin, DE
Post #: 129
Hello - no this is not standard. Typically language schools operate a 48-hour cancellation policy - so if the stagiaire cancels within 48 hours the lesson still gets paid for. This is for business clients; I've never heard of special treatment for busy execs. You could bring this down to 24-hours which I do for telephone lessons because it's not as bad as having travelled or planned to travel to the client's office. However I don't have to organise childcare etc.

An example wording that you send to the stagiaire or DRH at the beginning of the course is below.

Good luck! Cheers, Sean

Conditions d'annulation et de report des cours

Un cours pourra être reporté et replanifié si le formateur est prévenu avec un préavis de 2 jours ouvrés à l’adresse suivante : annulation@WHATEVER.com ou par téléphone au 06 555 555. Dans le cas contraire, le cours sera considéré comme perdu et décompté du planning.