Vijazz is a celebratory, interactive event where it is possible to taste the best wines and cavas from the Penedes along to the beats of jazz music: an impressive fair of wines and champagnes made in Penedès, free jazz concerts, world-class artists, as well as many parallel activities: guided tastings, visits to wineries, brass bands, street entertainment etc...
It's also a great opportunity to discover Vilafranca del Penedès: the wine capital of Catalonia, and one of the oldest vinicultural cities in Europe; which features dozens of wine cellars surrounding the city. Moreover, Vilafranca is a very beautiful town, with lots of impressive modernist houses (Catalonia's unique version of Art Nouveau), an important mediaeval town, incredible vinyards, a very rich cultural heritage and, last but not least, the town with the most important colla castellera (humans pyramids team), a Catalan tradition declared by UNESCO to be a masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity.
- 10.15 am: Meet at Cafe Zúrich (Plaza Catalunya) to get our tickets to Vilafranca.
- Arrival to Vilafranca. Have a quick coffee/ breakfast.
- 12.00 am: Visit and wine tasting in a prestigious cellar
- 13.30 am: Visit to Casa de la Festa Major (a space that gathers together the rich folklore of the Vilafranca town festival).
- Guided walk around the modernist and medieval town (Sant Maria's Church, Royal Palace, Casa Nogués, Casa Quer, Casa Serdà, Saint Joans' Capel, Baltà Palace...).
- Have LUNCH in Cal Noi-noi, a cheap restaurant and the "headquarter" of "Xicots de Vilafranca", the second Human Tower (castellers) team of the city .
- 17:00 pm: Walk around the town while drinking -there are many "wine parades"- and enjoying some of the street jazz concerts.
- 19.30 pm: take the train or bus back to Barcelona.
THERE ARE CONCERTS UNTIL MIDNIGHT (if you want to come back to Barcelona later there is a bus night service from Vilafranca to Barcelona).
TOTAL PRICE: 15 EUROS(THE PRICE INCLUDES GUIDED VISIT AND WINE TASTING IN A PRESTIGIOUS CELLAR + ENTRANCE TO CASA DE LA FESTA MAJOR + VILAFRANCA GUIDED VISIT / ORG FEE).
The return ticket train is not included in price (it costs 8,60 euros)