addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Eugene Oregon Programmers Message Board › What talks/presentation subjects would you like to see?

What talks/presentation subjects would you like to see?

Ryan O.
RyanOlds
Eugene, OR
Post #: 2
A few people are interested in giving presentations on subjects like PostgreSQL, MongoDB (it's web scale) and database optimization. What subjects would you like to see? What subjects would you be willing to give a presentation about?
erik
user 34423932
Eugene, OR
Post #: 1
hi -
i'm a haskell zealot and i'd love to have other haskell zealots to hang out with. it's notoriously difficult to learn, but well worth it -- it and prolog are the only languages that really changed how i thought about programming. it is essentially executable abstract algebra. you won't run into customers asking you to use it, but if you learn it, i think you'll use it on every project where the choice is up to you. a couple points to whet your appetite: imagine automatically deriving implementations that satisfy a type signature. haskell's type system allows this! also, imagine code that is as fast as c, but at a very high level that isn't concerned about memory management, can be *automatically* parallelized, etc.

it's definitely not possible to casually teach haskell comprehensively in a couple hours, and i'm no expert. but i can get stuff done relatively in-paradigm. if there is interest, i think a way to get started would be to work though [1] and [2] together. that's something i could lead -- i much prefer live coding sessions to preparing presentations. realistically, it would take at least a half dozen sessions. there are also 4 or 5 phenomenal technical lectures online by leading figures of the community that would be fun to watch as a group.

as far as practical projects, my main interest is in realtime music generation, which itself would be fun to collaborate on. haskell is also extremely applicable to the real world -- i'm new to web programming, but i'm making a database CRUD webapp for work, and i have an idea for a facebook app i'd like to make (more collaboration?). that got me looking at yesod, which is haskell's best web framework. by default it uses a webserver written in haskell called warp, which is discussed in [3]. it uses many modern concepts that are both interesting and efficient -- figure one shows performance is over 4x that of node. so, after some basics, we can dedicate several sessions to web programming.

any interest in this?

[1] http://learnyouahaske...­
[2] http://www.haskell.or...­
[3] http://steve.vinoski....­
A former member
Post #: 1
A PostgreSQL presentation would be super awesome. It would be cool to have a general meetup sometime with no presentations just to chat, throw out general questions and discover peoples strengths and interests.

PS. I thought the October comment was the new update. To the Haskell guy, sorry it's not an area I'm interested in. Unless of course you are using it connect to PostgreSQL :)
erik
user 34423932
Eugene, OR
Post #: 2
yesod, the haskell web framework that i mentioned, does indeed connect to postgre. :) it has a layer called 'persistent' that abstracts the storage layer and has a growing list of backends (currently PostgreSQL, SQLite and MongoDB). in the app layer, you never have to touch SQL, you just define haskell types that represent what you want. they are automatically translated to a schema for whichever backend you want.

http://www.yesodweb.c...­