Eugene Veggies Message Board › What Event Type Interests You?

What Event Type Interests You?

JJ
user 37645002
Group Organizer
Eugene, OR
Post #: 1
Hey there fellow Eugene Veggies.

I am thinking about hosting another event and would like some feedback from you. There are 5 ideas below. Which of these events, if any, would you like? The more feedback I get, the better.

Thanks,
- JJ
PS: E-mails from meetup do not get to me most of the time (for some unknown reason). So, give me time to check back in if you leave a comment that needs a reply.

Idea 1: Recipe Swap
Everyone brings copies of their favorite recipe along with the cooked dish. This is basically a potluck, but with the idea that we would share cooking tips, and why we like this particular dish or what it is good for. I think I might come up with a theme like: every day cooking. So, I would bill this party as a way for people expand their everyday food repertoire.

Idea 2: Dr. Greger Videos
I have nutrition DVDs from Dr. Greger. These DVDs contain 50 or more short segments, typically 1 to 3 minutes in length, explaining about the latest scientific studies in regards to nutrition. If we do this party, I will share Dr. Greger's big-picture nutrition recommendations - which are based on the latest research. We would have popcorn and other snacks.

Idea 3: Blind Chocolate Tasting Party
I've done this party several times over the last 8 or so years. I do all the work and buy all the chocolate, so one thing about this party is that I would need people to kick in a small fee - probably $4/person. I wrote a computer program where lots of information about each chocolate is stored. There is a ratings sheet that every person fills out and I take time to educate people on how to do a chocolate tasting. Then they enter their ratings into the computer. At the end of the party, they leave with a print out of their own ratings plus the party averages and all the info about the chocolate, including cost per ounce. Of course, all of the chocolates would be vegan and fair trade. I also have a fun chocolate quiz and a nice "History of Chocolate" document that I put together. Because of the nature of the party, the participation for this one would be limited to a set number of people - probably 12.

Idea 4: Pampered Chef
I love pampered chef parties, but now that I am a vegan, it is a bummer that the samples are not usually food that I can eat. I think it might be fun to do a pampered chef party where the person doing the demos and talking about food is committed to making it all vegan.

Idea 5: Game Day With Great Snacks
I have a ton of various board games for all ages as well as decks of cards. Depending on how many people who come, we would have one central game for people to play or various groups of people playing different games. Of course, we would have great vegan snacks to help us keep our energy up and our minds sharp.

I've got other ideas, but this seems like a good start. Do any of these ideas appeal to you?
A former member
Post #: 25
All the ideas except the chocolate tasting (sugar spooks me) would potentially get me as a participant. Thanks for thinking about this and posting. Your house is great for indoor events.

1. Discussion event about Douglas Graham's low fat raw vegan diet book, 80/10/10, and personal experimenting stories.

2. Willamette river float and island picnic

3. Bicycle ride out the Fern Ridge path to visit the bird watching areas.
JJ
user 37645002
Group Organizer
Eugene, OR
Post #: 2
Adrien: Thanks for your feedback and for posting your own event ideas. Hopefully we can get some more feedback/participation from folks on this discussion.
A former member
Post #: 6
A chocolate game night sounds perfect to me. The recipe idea is also intriguing...
Anything, I guess, where I do not need to be musically talented to be involved...
A former member
Post #: 11

Dr. Tyson is coming to your city to promote his newly published book "The Raw Truth: The Recipe For Reversing Diabetes." He participated in the documentary film "Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes In 30 Days." He has dedicated his life to helping people reverse diabetes using a raw foods life style. The book details his experience with reversing his diabetes, as well as provides guidance to help others reverse their diabetes. The book also contains delicious raw food recipes. His presentations are usually 45 minutes, with a 15 minute question and answer section. These lectures are free of charge to the public the dates, times and locations are listed. For more tour information visit www.livingrawforlife.com

eugene

First Christian Church

6/20/2012

1166 Oak st. Eugene, OR 97401

10-11 a.m.

If your interested in Dr. Tyson speaking at other location feel free to send email to

Kevin Covington Tour Manager/Assistant k.covington@livingrawforlife.com

Jerome Debro PR/Marketing/Promotions j.debro@livingrawforlife.com
A former member
Post #: 12

Dr. Tyson is coming to your city to promote his newly published book "The Raw Truth: The Recipe For Reversing Diabetes." He participated in the documentary film "Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes In 30 Days." He has dedicated his life to helping people reverse diabetes using a raw foods life style. The book details his experience with reversing his diabetes, as well as provides guidance to help others reverse their diabetes. The book also contains delicious raw food recipes. His presentations are usually 45 minutes, with a 15 minute question and answer section. These lectures are free of charge to the public the dates, times and locations are listed. For more tour information visit www.livingrawforlife.com

eugene

First Christian Church

6/20/2012

1166 Oak st. Eugene, OR 97401

10-11 a.m.

If your interested in Dr. Tyson speaking at other location feel free to send email to

Kevin Covington Tour Manager/Assistant k.covington@livingrawforlife.com

Jerome Debro PR/Marketing/Promotions j.debro@livingrawforlife.com
Lynn
user 39244942
Eugene, OR
Chocolate and games sound good. Thanks JJ for making the effort on this.
Nanook
user 30847952
Eugene, OR
Hey JJ, Nancy here. I like ALL your ideas, but especially:
Idea 1: Recipe Swap
Idea 5: Game Day With Great Snacks
(Hi to Mr. Duke!)
JJ
user 37645002
Group Organizer
Eugene, OR
Post #: 3
Paul, Lynn and Nancy: Thank you all for your replies. It looks like we are getting a consensus. I think I'll try the game idea. It might take me a few days to do it, but be on the lookout for a new Eugene Veggies event coming soon!
A former member
Post #: 28
Thanks JJ