Mar 13, 2014 · 7:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
Living an examined life is very much about taking a critical look at things which we can easily take for granted. Consciousness is one such thing. We tend to agree that we are conscious, that we possess consciousness, and yet little is understood about what this actually means. In fact, possessing consciousness may be a prerequisite for even being able to ask such questions.
Wikipedia on Consciousness
The Huffington Post: Consciousness is everywhere
• What is consciousness? How is it different, if at all, from simply having experiences?
• What features are necessary for consciousness to arise?
• Is it possible for non-human animals to possess consciousness?
• Is self awareness necessary for consciousness?
• How might we recognize consciousness in others without relying on self-reporting?
Location and Price:
This meetup will be just outside the cafe inside Half-Price Books (near the fish tank). There is also a suggested (but by no means mandatory) $2 donation to help cover the cost of maintaining this meetup group.