Jun 12, 2014 · 7:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
Justice and Capital Punishment
In this world we are surrounded by both necessary and unnecessary deaths, some of which we cause in the name of justice. However, capital punishment is not the simple concept some would have us believe. It raises many questions which can reveal the heart of justice itself.
• Is capital punishment necessary or unnecessary either to prevent future harms or punish people for certain crimes?
• Is capital punishment an effective deterrent?
• Can the death of one person "pay" for harms done to others?
• If an innocent person is killed by mistake, does that make the society which condoned capital punishment guilty of murder?
• What might be some alternatives to capital punishment?
• In light of all of this, is capital punishment justifiable?
Location and Price:
This meetup will be just outside the cafe inside Half-Price Books (near the fish tank). There is also a suggested (but by no means mandatory) $2 donation to help cover the cost of maintaining this meetup group.