The Dallas Examined Life Philosophy Group Message Board › Women's Self Image & Media (includes short & funny vid)

Women's Self Image & Media (includes short & funny vid)

Rinda G.
user 7444310
Dallas, TX
Post #: 135
I really appreciated the video. Thank Sam for people like Jean Kilborne & Kate Winslet for speaking out. I don't know why but I've never compared myself with someone in a magazine, never even considered it so I can't even understand how that happens. Sure I didn't want my belly to stick out too much when I was wearing a swimsuit, but I never wanted to look like a swimsuit model. I wanted to look attractive but that didn't require designer jeans. I wanted, and still want to be the best I can be, by my standards and no one else's.
I can only guess at how this happens and my best guess is that when you value someone else's (or what you believe is someone else's) opinion over your own (or you have no opinion of you but what you've allowed others to dictate), misery follows.
So, if I don't decide that I'm good enough as I am, then I have to ask, will I ever be?
Sherrina
Sherrina
Dallas, TX
Post #: 4
Thank you for the video Nathaniel! I'm about to watch all her videos now.

Rinda, the reason I responded to such advertising when I was younger was because of my age. Puberty was not a fun time for me. I gained what I now know to be normal weight for a girl going through puberty, and freaked out! All the girls in the magazines had stick figure bodies! I wanted to be like them! Little did I understand that I would never, could never look like that. Then there were the girls at school. Some were ahead of me on the adolescence ladder, others were behind me and I didn't look like either! Well, at least I thought I didn't. I was too busy staring at the models, then at myself. I developed a warped sense of self and image. If at that age I had unrestricted access to money , I would have spent a fortune on all the beauty products, weight loss diets and surgery. I had no one to talk to.

That is how those ads work. We are surrounded by them. Children are inundated by them, every day. Children have very little real world experience. Those ads affect how they learn about the world as much as their family and friends do. They grow up thinking the surreal is real and as a goal to be reached! It was not until I was older and had enough experience and counseling to finally realize all these ads, these ideas of beauty are false. They are an idea, nothing more. I wish Kate Winslet had been around when I was a teenager. She might have saved me from myself.