addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Dallas Examined Life Philosophy Group Message Board › Red Lobster and Lent

Red Lobster and Lent

Liz
bizzy127
Dallas, TX
Post #: 13
Last night we talked a little bit about the history of Lent.

This reminded me of celebrating "pancake day" as an exchange student in England. On the Tuesday before Lent (Mardi Gras in the states) everyone traditionally made pancakes to get rid of their "rich foods" like eggs and butter. We were SOOO excited when my friend Rach actually managed to flip a crepe in the pan one-handed without dropping it to the ground. Ahhh college life.

Here's a short blurb from CatholicEducation.org (http://www.catholiced...­

"The rules of fasting varied. First, some areas of the Church abstained from all forms of meat and animal products, while others made exceptions for food like fish. For example, Pope St. Gregory (d. 604), writing to St. Augustine of Canterbury, issued the following rule: "We abstain from flesh, meat, and from all things that come from flesh, as milk, cheese and eggs."

Nevertheless, I was always taught, "If you gave something up for the Lord, tough it out. Don't act like a Pharisee looking for a loophole."

Second, the general rule was for a person to have one meal a day, in the evening or at 3 p.m.

These Lenten fasting rules also evolved. Eventually, a smaller repast was allowed during the day to keep up one's strength from manual labor. Eating fish was allowed, and later eating meat was also allowed through the week except on Ash Wednesday and Friday. Dispensations were given for eating dairy products if a pious work was performed, and eventually this rule was relaxed totally."
Rinda G.
user 7444310
Dallas, TX
Post #: 138
Liz, it was so good to see you last Thursday and get your particular thoughts on the discussion.
I wasn't able to access the blurb you were referring to through the link provided. I was able to locate Catholic Education Resource Center
http://www.catholiced...­ but have no idea where to find the blurb. Would you send again?
Also, I'm unclear as to your intent here. Are you providing information or putting forth an argument?
Liz
bizzy127
Dallas, TX
Post #: 14
Thanks, Rinda!

I was really just following up on a question that came up in the discussion. I try to remember to do that when I can (that's one reason that I've always got my notebook!) I don't think there's really much of an argument here. Sadly it looks like that link I sent isn't working anymore. I'm sorry about that!