The Dallas Examined Life Philosophy Group Message Board › political bias in the media

political bias in the media

Gregg
gregglll
Lewisville, TX
Post #: 105
You hear it all the time from liberals: "Fox News is biased".

They can cite example after example and make a compelling case. But, of course, bias has always been in the media; this is nothing new. Conservatives have been saying this about other channels for years.

The problem is that we know from cognitive psychology that it is much easier to detect biases in those with whom we disagree than in those with whom we agree. That is a scientific fact. No matter how smart you are or how hard you try, detecting biases in those with whom you agree is much more difficult.

So we are left with Liberals attacking Fox as if they are the worst and Conservatives attacking MSNBC as if they are the worst. But this is exactly what one would expect.

A great example of this phenomenon is described in the following article:

http://www.theatlanti...­
Jim B.
user 4260314
Arlington, TX
Post #: 388
Gregg, I definitely agree with everything you write. I still contend, though, that even in cases where people vehemently disagree and inevitably are biased in favor of their pre-existing beliefs, that there often is a fact of the matter, and that one side may be closer to the 'truth' of the matter than the other side(s). Discovering what that 'truth' might be is very difficult if not impossible to ever fully achive, as you point out. What you're saying is crucially important epistemologically but doesn't necessarily tell us much about what it is that the disagreement is about. The fact that the author of the article you link to could discover that he was wrong is actually quite encouraging in that respect. I do 'believe' that we ought to be modest in our claims and allow for their revisability in light of more and better evidence, but I don't think that because of that revisability, we should ever give up on the possibility that we may just be right!