The Dallas Examined Life Philosophy Group Message Board › Meet-Up Follow-up

Meet-Up Follow-up

Liz
bizzy127
Dallas, TX
Post #: 16
So yesterday we talked a lot about what Dr. Who, Eastern religions and the Bible say about time, death and eternity. Here are some quotes I found from Dr. Who and the Bible.

Anyone have quotes from Hindu, Buddhist, Jainist or other religious texts?? Quotes are more like "clips" than full-length films, so please drop me an email if you want to trade full length passages and books elizabethsha@gmail.com. (I'm especially anxious to learn about Buddhist texts right now)

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly time-wimey stuff."
-The Dr.

Heaven and Hell
Matt 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
Luke 18:22 22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
Phil 3:20 20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ,
2 Pet 3:13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.

Everlasting/Eternity

Gen 9:16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”
Ps 90:12 Before the mountains were born
or you brought forth the whole world,
from everlasting to everlasting you are God.
Ps 139:24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.
Eccl 3:11He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
Dn 12:2 Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.
Matt 25:46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
Jn 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Jn 4:14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

Life and death
Ezk 18:32 For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!
Jn 5:24 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.
Jn 8:51 Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death.”
Ro 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Ti 3:4-7 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.
Rev 21:4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

Ressurrection
Jn 11:25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die;
Ro 6:5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his.
1 Cor 15:42 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.