Exit 109 Yakers Message Board › The upper Toms River

The upper Toms River

A former member
Post #: 26
A sad story:
I decided to paddle upstream on Toms River from RT 70 and see if I could do some clearing. I had done the same early last year, I got it cleared mostly with loppers and a small hand saw except for one large tree which I had cut a portage around the base. Much to my dismay, someone has cleared the upper Toms from RT 70 to RT 547. I say “much to my dismay” because someone has completely ruined the flavor of the upper Toms. Where it use to be a nice paddle with a bit of challenge for in intermediate paddler it is now suitable for a beginner who has picked up paddle stroke tips from the American Express commercial and has a 16 foot boat. Cuts through obstacles are around 15 feet wide, old logs that have been down for years are cleared from side to side. There was yellow “caution” tape tied to trees above any sort of “obstacle” or low branch. There are 2 or 3 limbo trees but several which were there before are now 15 foot gaps. I think someone was working on putting together a commercial rental deal together or something. I did clear branches and vines off one newly downed tree, the center and river left that you have to “ape walk” over. I can not see any regular paddler going through this work and doing such damage. I would also think if it was the State, County or the river race group they would have done the lower Toms. We did the lower Toms a couple weeks ago and there are still some issues, we did clear a couple. I did see a truck with a trailer holding two canoes with a “Toms River Adventures and Canoe Rental” business card tucked under one of the straps parked on the shoulder at the RT 70 put in.
So, the good news is Toms River is clear from RT 547 but the bad news is it sucks compared to what it once was.
A former member
Post #: 30
Hey folks, I just got word through a friend that it was indeed “Toms River Adventures” (Cecil and Marc) who cut up the upper Toms River area. They did this for commercial purposes. They are on Facebook and are working on a web-site. I have no idea as to their license, permits and/or insurances but they do claim to be a canoe rental company with a grand opening in two weeks. Does anyone know where to find the guidelines as to what is and is not allowed? I know that the Toms River Race group clears the lower Toms for the annual race and they have never come close to hacking up the river like this. It’s always seems to be a matter of clearing an obstruction enough to get a boat through. I hate the thought of Toms River becoming another Cedar Creek (or worse) with all the litter and even bright yellow “caution“ tape draped from the trees. I hate to imagine Toms River in a year or two at this rate. I don’t begrudge anyone running a business, but anything to do with public lands and the environment needs to be down with respect and within the guidelines. Pretty much every person I have met kayaking has been a straight forward and respectful person concerning the Great Outdoors.
How about some feedback on this issue? Am I over reaction? Are Cecil and Marc out of line? Are there violations? What other issues are there?