Expats in Oslo Message Board Expats in Oslo Discussion Forum › Commercial meetups

Commercial meetups

Emma
user 13335031
Group Organizer
Oslo, NO
Hello All,

Expats in Oslo is a bit over two years old and I am amazed to see there are nearly 700 members! Thanks to all for making it such an active group. A big thank-you especially to those who have organised events: you are the ones who really make the group fantastic.

I wanted to say a couple of words about commercial Meetups: i.e. ones where the organiser benefits financially. At first I was against these (apologies to people whose meetups I deleted because of this) but I have had a rethink. For me, the group is about having a place for people to make contact and meet new friends. So, if you are organising any event which is a sociable group event, where the participants will have a chance to meet and chat, then I have no objections. All I ask is that, if you will be making money out of it, that you ask me first; I don't want the group to be full of advertising – we get enough of that already on the internet :-(  If I get deluged with requests, I don't guarantee that I will read them all, or that I will be completely fair, but I will do my best. As far I am concerned, the more sociable events there are, that are open to all, the better.

And to all the other members, if there is a commercial event that you feel wasn't really in the spirit of the group, please send me a direct message.

Merry Christmas and thanks again to all for making this such a successful group!

Emma

A former member
Post #: 1
Emma could it also be made clear on the invitation that it is a commercial meetup? That way individual members can choose whether or not to support such meetup activities.
Kind regards
Paulene
Paul B. E.
user 61105392
Oslo, NO
Post #: 2
Just to confirm that Emma and I have spoken very closely about the comedy event I post and to clarify that I only target one night as a "Meetup" event rather than just promoting everything I'm doing. Until now Emma has hosted the events herself but after coming along has said "Go for it!". I'm really thankful for the opportunity to promote the gig on here and am loving meetup - the (Not for profit) monthly cheeky after work drinks are proving to be a right laugh and have been a great way for me to meet a load of ex pats over here and then forget everything about them about half an hour later. Every night is like meeting thirty people for the first time!