Celebrate International Women's week in true Experience Manitoba style with our second annual winter gathering!
Join us for a fun afternoon of ice-breakers, games and activities, a friendly photography competition, many chances to visit with old friends and meet great new ones, an epic pot-luck supper, a fantastic guest presentation, prizes, and much more!
These events fill up quickly so make sure you RSVP as soon as you know you can commit as it is going to be a pretty awesome afternoon!
We particularly encourage new members to attend - this is the perfect opportunity to come and meet us all and find out what we are about -we're a friendly bunch and we'd love to meet you!
(Below: Some of our members enjoying the activities at last year's winter gathering)
2:00pm - check-in, ice-breakers, coffee, tea & snacks
2:30pm - welcome address by organizers
2:45pm - games and activities
3:15pm - photo competition (see details below!)
4:00pm - special presentation by world owl expert James Duncan PhD, and Nemo, a live male long-eared owl (see details below!)
4:30pm - book signing and photo opportunities, including our group photo
5:00pm - games and activities
6:00pm - potluck dinner, coffee, dessert, and announce photo competition winners
7:00pm - say goodbye to your new friends
About our special guest: James Duncan obtained a Ph.D. in 1992 from the U of M for research on the Great Gray Owl. James is the Director of the Wildlife Branch of Manitoba Conservation where he is active in local, national and international biodiversity conservation initiatives including species at risk. He has researched owls for over 26 years and has published scientific papers, books and symposium proceedings on owls from around the world. James was awarded the International Champion of Owls in 2009. He and his wife and fellow zoologist, Patsy have banded over 2,000 owls in Manitoba!
(Above: Our special guests James Duncan PhD and Nemo)
• your Experience Manitoba lanyard (if you don't have one, you'll receive yours at this meetup)
• a dish to share in the pot-luck: main dish, salad, dessert, side dish, (tea and coffee will be provided). We have access to electricity to keep your hotpots warm too. Please only bring enough food for about 6 people... we appreciate your generosity, but we always have WAY too much food and don't want to be wasteful. Our pot-lucks are renowned for being diverse, yummy and easy on the eyes (just like our members)
• you don't need to bring any layers or extra outdoor clothing - there will be no snowman competition this year, so no outside component to this event!
PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITION DETAILS
We invite ALL members, whether you're going to attend the winter gathering or not, to enter photos in the photography competition. Photos will be voted on by members who attend the winter gathering, but you are still eligible to win even if you're not in attendance.
to find out the rules, categories, and guidelines for the competition. If the link does not work in your browser, click on the "pages" tab at the top of the page, then scroll to the bottom," and click on "2014 Photo Competition Rules and Guidelines."
This year, the categories for the photo competition are:
1. Wildlife – the main focus of the photo is a wild animal. Pictures of pets are not included in this category
2. Landscape – the main subject or focus of the photo is the landscape, including trees, water, geographical features, and other elements of the land
3. Sunrise/Sunset – the main focus of the photo is the sunrise/sunset; there can be other elements in the photo, but the focal point is the sunrise/sunset
4. People – the main focus of the photo is a person or people
5. Macro – an extreme close-up; the subject in the photo is larger than in real life
6. Night – a photo of wildlife, landscape, or people at night, or the night sky, where the main focus is NOT a sunrise/sunset
7. Experience Manitoba Group Shots – a photo taken at an Experience Manitoba event, where the main focus is a group of members posing or doing an activity
8. Experience Manitoba Members – a photograph where the subject is an individual Experience Manitoba member; you cannot submit a photo of yourself - you must be the photographer (please get the subject’s permission before submitting the photo to the competition)
The deadline for submitting photographs is Friday March 7th by 11:59pm. Email your photos as attachments to [masked]. Make sure each photograph's file name includes your name and the category you are entering it into. Thanks!
(Above: Group photo with the official Voyageurs of the 2013 Festival Du Voyageur )
When you RSVP for this meetup, you do not need to pay by PayPal. There is no fee for this meetup! Please only RSVP if you plan on and are able to attend. We imagine this meetup will fill up and there may be a waiting list, and it's unfair to those on the waiting list if you have RSVPd "yes" and then don't show up.
*Please note, we are not providing carpooling for this event. You are welcome to organize your own on the comments section of the event page.
You can find information about our policies, including meetup fees, refunds, and carpooling, here: http://www.meetup.com/Experience-Manitoba-Group/about/
If the meetup is full but you are interested in attending, please click the "notify me" button at the top of the RSVP list. Spots do open up, and we are sometimes able to add another date for an event if there is enough interest.
Please read our disclaimer and waiver of liability here:
By RSVPing “yes” for this event, you agree with and accept all statements in this disclaimer and waiver.
By RSVPing “yes” for this event, you hereby for yourself, your heirs, executors, and administrators release and discharge Experience Manitoba, their organizers, directors, agents, volunteers, leaders, and participants from any and all lawsuits, actions, claims, or demands by reason of any damage, loss, injury, or death arising from your participation in Experience Manitoba events. By RSVPing “yes” for this event, you agree to accept responsibility for all risks and hazards you may encounter at this event, and you further agree to bear all costs of rescue or medical attention rendered to you personally arising from this event.