Experience WINE, BEER, & Other Libations Message Board › Figuring who's in the Meetup at events

Figuring who's in the Meetup at events

Lisa S.
user 13354401
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 2
Hi folks,
I'm pretty new to the group, but I've seen comments about this elsewhere on the website and wondered about it myself. Notices are sent out about events, people are asked to RSVP, but there's no way to figure out who's in the Meetup at the event. Wine tastings are friendly gatherings, and I've never had a problem going on my own and striking up conversations with my neighbors. Some folks might not be comfortable going by themselves, however, especially if new to wine tasting, and they may have been expecting/hoping for more of an established group experience. The RSVP process and use of term "Organizer" make it seem like there will be a specific Meetup table at tastings.

Maybe we should provide more information on the event announcements so people know what to expect? For example, that it's an informational posting for an event independent of the Meetup group (e.g., Orso wine series). Or, that it's an event specifically organized by Experience Wine for its members (I'm not sure if this is ever done). Maybe we should have a sign on a table at tastings if enough people RSVP so folks can at least stop by and actually meet each other? If nothing else, it would let more people know the group exists.

Any thoughts?
Lisa S.

Lyn
user 10569241
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 24
Lisa, I agree with your comments and concerns. My reason for joining the group was to meet other people who share similar interests, yet I'm found it has been difficult - often impossible - to locate other members at the large Anchorage events.

Another Anchorage MeetUp group I belong to developed a solution for public gatherings. Whoever is the designated Point of Contact (POC) is charged with making certain people know where to meet. Visual cues have included table placards, pre-set meeting locations, and even a trademark scarf so others can find the POC.

I spend part of my time in Fairbanks. Up there it is relatively easy to go to a public event and find people to talk with about food and wine. Venues are smaller, as is the population, so it's not as overwhelming to think about going solo to a tasting. Not so in Anchorage.

Frankly, the Experience Wine group functions more like an announcement board - with items often posted by industry insiders - than it does as an opportunity for those of us who are members of the general public to get together.

I would like to see the leadership take a more active and involved role in coordinating events to help insure members actually do have a chance to "MeetUp."

-- Lyn

Jim
user 13919330
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 1
I also agree. I am also new and live in the valley and have yet to attend an event. I am interested in meeting valley wine enthusiasts at The Grape Tap in Wasilla. I am also interested in sharing wine knowledge between members. Sharing travel stories about vineyard and cellar tours, etc. I have a copy of the 13 part PBS series "Vintage" by Hugh Johnson that I would be happy to share and maybe set up a viewing night.

- Jim
Jim
user 13919330
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 5
Anybody interested in a Saturday evening meet-up at The Grape Tap in Wasilla? Please respond to this discussion and we will see if there is any interest.