Exploring NYC History and Neighborhoods Message Board › Important Instructions for The Fort Greene Meetup this Tuesday Night!

Important Instructions for The Fort Greene Meetup this Tuesday Night!

Hank O.
user 79290392
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Hi All:
Looking forward to Tuesday night despite the weather as these neighborhoods are among my very favorite in the City!  Please try to be on time -- given the after work hour and the heat I have extended the meetup time to 6:15pm and we will try to start out on our walk shortly thereafter!
I strongly suggest that you bring water.  Our walk will be on level terrain and is a pretty easy approximately 1.5 mile stroll.  We will pass a number of stores so you will also have opportunities to buy water.
Finding our meetup location in front of The Brooklyn Academy of Music's (BAM) Peter J. Sharpe Theatre may be a little tricky so below are links to a small detailed detailed map on the BAM website (see bottom right on page), and a link to Hopstop for public transportation.  I suggest having access to a map. The address is 30 Lafayette Avenue between Ashland Place and St. Felix Street.  Look for a large Theatre-type building.  There are numerous subway lines that get you within several blocks.
http://www.bam.org/vi...
http://hopstop.com/.....
After the walk there will be the option of checking out the free concert in Fort Greene Park.  You may want to bring something to place on the ground or grass. There are also some fine dinner options for those able to make it a later night.  For those heading out after the walk or concert (scheduled to end at 9pm), you can either walk down DeKalb Avenue to the B,D,Q subway or catch the B38 bus which takes you into downtown Brooklyn for subway connections.  I will be providing instructions and a map as well.
Lastly the BAM Cafe is closed for the rest of the summer but the security guard at BAM told me that we can use the rest room in the cinema.  Do try to take care of business before you arrive to save time.  If you arrive early you can also go inside the building and there's a small lounge on the far right side away from the Box Office.  I will look for people inside as well as outside the building.
Don't hesitate to call me on my cell at 646-596-3005
Cheers,
Hank