To go to this Meetup:
1) RSVP here for the Waiting List
2) YOU MUST SEND AN EMAIL TO THE CAPTAIN AT [masked] TO RESERVE A SPOT FOR YOURSELF (they are not on Meetup)
a) put “Viking Ship” in the Subject Line of your email
b) say you are part of Lance's group and ask if there is a spot available for the day you want to go (we have some reserved spots)
c) tell them whether or not you can help row the ship for the first 15 minutes before they hoist the sail for 1.5 hours (six passengers are required to row the ship)
d) include your name and a PHONE NUMBER to contact you if the sailing is canceled at the last minute. Make sure your Meetup name is the same name you give the Captain or put it at the start of your introduction, so I know who to move to the “Yes” list.
If you do NOT send an email to the Captain, then there will NOT be a spot for you on the ship.
3) POST A COMMENT HERE AFTER THE CAPTAIN HAS CONFIRMED YOUR SPOT ON THE SHIP and I will change your RSVP to “Yes”.
4) You can still come sailing if you can't row but everyone needs to help out at certain times (either rowing, pulling on ropes to set the sail, acting as a lookout, steering the ship, etc). The rest of the time you can enjoy the view, take photos, learn how to sail, learn about Viking history, practice tying boating knots, or just relax.
5) The Munin sails by donation to help cover the insurance, harbour fees and maintenance costs
The Viking ship Munin is a 40 foot authentic half-scale replica of the Norwegian Viking Ship Gokstad, which was built around 890 A.D. It sails year round on English Bay, with passengers rowing for about 15 minutes to get to open water, helping hoist the square sail and sailing for 1.5 hours, and then rowing for another 15 minutes to return to the dock. No pets, no smoking and no alcohol. More info about the ship can be found at vikingship.ca .
This event is posted on several Meetup groups and there will also be non-Meetup passengers joining the sailing. It is a recurring weekly Meetup, so if the Captain tells you that this day is full then you might want to ask them about one of the future sailings before they are also full. Sailings will generally be on Saturdays, but may be moved to the Sunday or canceled based on weather conditions and crew availability. Safety first, so sometimes a sailing may be canceled ahead of time or even on the dock at the discretion of the Captain. If you cancel without giving a day's notice or are a no show, they will not allow you to sail on the Munin in the future. Your last minute cancellation or no show may result in the rest of the people standing at the dock and the ship not being able to sail because there are not enough rowers available. They are counting on you.
Note: By RSVPing for this event, you have read and agreed to the following Waiver. The host, group, crew, staff and associates are not responsible in any way for attending members. Members who RSVP YES for this event are solely and totally responsible for their own personal safety and well being before, during and at any time after the conclusion of this event. The host, group, crew, staff and associates shall be held harmless and shall be unconditionally free forever of any and all liabilities, obligations and responsibilities to any of the attendees, guests and all third party individuals, relatives and representatives.