FreeThinkers of Fort Worth Message Board The Door › Stupid things christians say

Stupid things christians say

Martha J.
user 13364454
Keller, TX
Post #: 5
One of my childhood friends sent me an email yesterday that she needed to talk to me. Her stepdaughter died in the hands of her stepfather, the girl was only 4 years old. My friend is devastated and even more when everyone's response is "it's gods plan", "you can't question god's plan". Even her husbands family say this! she is infuriated, and rightfully so. She has nobody to talk to about the things she thinks because she is surrounded by Christians and she doesn't really believe, she thinks she's a closet atheist and I'm the only non-believer she knows. I'm just heartbroken for her. Amazing how people can say such stupid things and still think they are helping! If that's god plan, I don't want or need your god!
Adam M.
user 13510526
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 4
We could go on forever about all the stupid things Christians say, there are plenty of sites for that. I think a better topic of discussion is how do you console the godless when tragedy occurs? I've attempted to do this before, and it came off heartless. I tried to point out the reality, which is, death is inevitable. We all must go at some point, that means that some will go before others. This can be extremely scary for someone who hasn't come to terms with reality. There is no way to justify the death of a 4 year old, but I would say, death is something we shouldn't try to justify. When someone passes, especially at a young age, our natural reaction is, "it's not fair". However, we must remember that the world doesn't exists for what is fair, it exist becomes it is. We should consider ourselves lucky to have met the people in our lives and remember all the good things about those who have passed. It's easy for me to understand this because I came to realize it over time, but I do not know how you could explain this to someone else without sounding like it's insignificant. What do you guys think?
Martha J.
user 13364454
Keller, TX
Post #: 7
I see your point and you are right however I don't even go there, sometimes people just need someone to talk and vent their frustrations with and I feel that that is what she is looking for. I can't say I know what that's like because I don't, all I can do is be there for her.