FreeThinkers of Fort Worth Message Board Share and Enjoy › Facebook post that boiled my blood

Facebook post that boiled my blood

Mandy
SingleAtheist
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 9
So a friend on facebook is posting crap like this. I am very much offended and I think Christians should be too. The Christian in this story is acting like a jerk over someone's opinion.

An Atheist Liberal College Prof. stood on his chair & said "If GOD really exists then knock me off this chair". Nothing happened, the class was quiet. "See! Now I'll give it a couple more minutes". A Marine Vet stood up, punched him knocked him out & off the chair,then sat back down. As the Professor came to he looked at his student & said "WHY DID YOU DO THAT"! He said "GOD was busy protecting my buddies fighting for your right to say stupid stuff like this so "HE SENT ME"! (God Bless Him)

What do you guys think?
A former member
Post #: 4
Sounds like a typical, mindless bigot. Don't worry if we don't eradicate ourselves first we will likely live to see the inevitable erosion of this psyche. I've seen worse, many of these people know they are in trouble and they are making their last stand...
Rob
user 3477588
Group Organizer
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 18
The prof should have been a little more specific and not said "If God exists knock me off this chair." Could be misconstrued - which was indeed the end result - as an invitation/provocation not to the "big man," but to those who have violent tendencies in defense of their great and mighty (LOVING!) god. As to the original point, here the words of George Carlin come to mind: he would repeatedly lay down the challenge of "may God strike me dead!" during his stand-up routines, and NOTHING EVER HAPPENED. I've done it, too, and here I am, still typing away, fit as a fiddle and smiling. And then there is the fault of the Marine in saying god was "busy protecting his buddies," which quite simply means god wasn't powerful enough (and everywhere at once) to do something as quick and simple as nudge a teacher off a chair...
Mandy
SingleAtheist
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 11
Exactly! So much flaw in this "story". It seems to have a red neck moral to the story. Defend your beliefs by fighting. Walking away isn't an option! Oh please. I am so tired of that childish attitude.
A former member
Post #: 3
Someone should have told the marine that god wasn't doing a very good jod: http://www.antiwar.co...­
Rob
user 3477588
Group Organizer
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 19
Yes, the mindset is primitive. So much so, in fact, that nothing we can say or do will get through to such people. Still, we must try, right? With words, not with our fists...
Mandy
SingleAtheist
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 13
I do agree ;) So hard to offer reason to the unreasonable.
Mandy
SingleAtheist
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 14
Someone should have told the marine that god wasn't doing a very good jod: http://www.antiwar.co...­

I actually brought that up to her! I said, "What about the soldiers who died?" lol...
Dan
user 21916351
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 1
On the one hand, the caricature of the liberal atheist professor is ridiculous. One would hope that he would come up with a better way to prove his belief that there is no god (or not even try). Why is this person even a professor if he proposes an inadequate test that can be refuted either as the Marine did, or by saying “Why would a god bother reacting to a stupid little challenge like yours?” I imagine this professor was made up for a Reader's Digest joke at least 30 years ago.

On the other hand, the self-caricature of the believers is sad. If you're going to believe in Mr. (or Ms.) Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnipresent, why would such a god ever be too “busy” for anything? One also wonders why he or she would be petty enough to react. If there were a good reason to react, though, almost anything, from a lightning bolt to a gust of wind to the push of a small child, would be a more convincing demonstration than a big Marine. You'd think an omniscient god would know a bit about showmanship and marketing.
Mandy
SingleAtheist
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 15
Very true Dan. Very true ;)