FreeThinkers of Fort Worth Message Board The Door › America's founders

America's founders

Rob
user 3477588
Group Organizer
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 36
The other day I was stopped in my tracks as I thought: the people who set this country into being couldn't possibly have imagined the religious MESS it's in now. As prime examples, I'm thinking of the purely American creations known as Scientology and Mormonism. If they could have looked into the future, they would surely have said: wait, let us take more time to consider the 'freedom of religion' concept... yes, that needs a great deal lot of work. Jesus coming to this part of the world and preaching to the Indian tribes? Dictating visions for your holy book from rocks inside a hat that only one man can divine? Dictating with a sheet separating you and your scribe??? Spirits being brought to our planet in flying machines and deposited inside volcanoes? Not being privy to spiritual revelations unless you pay? And these will become widespread beliefs - even among the famous and powerful? All recognized churches/institutions will be tax exempt even though they can spend tens of millions of dollars (an absolutely unimaginable sum in those days) on a SINGLE building - and in light of the fact that this country STARTED with a debt by assuming the state debts after breaking free from the English?
A former member
Post #: 20
Unfortunately, I don't think our founding fathers were quite imaginative enough to envision what people will believe. I haven't figured out yet if people believe because the ludicrous ideas are declared with such conviction or if people are willing to cling to any possibility that removes their personal responsibility for their lives and actions. Unfortunately, I think most folks just don't want to think for themselves -- which would probably stop our founding fathers dead in their tracks.