addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

FreeThinkers of Fort Worth Message Board Important Announcements › Protecting your private information on Meetup

Protecting your private information on Meetup

Meredyth
MeryMer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 49
Hi all,

One of our members informed me that they received a strange email from another member. Upon investigation, this is not one of our members and I suspect it was a phishing scam. Please, if you feel that an email is out of line, report it to the organizers of the group or myself.

Also, you can contact fellow members through meetup and keep your email private. Just click on the members name to open their profile. There will be a send email link (right under their name). You can always contact new friends this way; until you are comfortable enough to share personal information.

I know you are all technologically savvy, but I can't stress this enough:

1) This is a local group, please be wary of members who are internationally based (especially if the email doesn't "feel" right).
2) Never, Never, Never give out personal or identifying information - this includes email, phone, address, financial info, etc.. (Even to me and even if I promise you beer).
3) Report anything strange to meetup or the organizers.

Be safe on the interwebs!

A former member
Post #: 21
Thanks for the heads-up.
Carrie
user 10746670
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 1
Even if you promise us BEER?! Are you sure?