Basically a dinner party without the prep and washing up, the idea of this group came from something I used to do with law school friends - dinner at London fine dining, trendy, chic or classic restaurants picked by a different person each time, so they can tick it off their restaurant bucket list. I have quite a few on my list to get us started!
You might be new to London or, like me, have a dwindling number of friends who are still able/willing to eat out due to marriage, babies etc. Seems a shame we should miss out when Meetup can bring us together! As well as eating in fine dining, trendy, chic or classic restaurants, the added bonus of a group like this is that we can meet new, fun sociable and professional people, have interesting conversations and hopefully make some new friends. The suggested age range for this group is 30s and 40s.
There are other similar groups out there but most seem to focus on a different age or price range, single sex meetups or on the drinking aspects, so hopefully not treading on any toes here!
Any feedback or suggestions for restaurants very welcome. Let's get dining!
The small print - please note that this has been changed due to feedback from members from experiences with other groups
Some membership rules:
• You must be a professional who lives/works in Greater London
• You must have a photo on your profile from which we will recognise you when you arrive at an event.
Some ground rules for events:
• I would suggest the dinners are kept small (4-8 people) so we can get to know each other.
• Have a look at the restaurant websites and menus before you RSVP to get an idea of cost, dress code etc.
• The bill (including extras, drinks and service) will be split equally amongst diners at the end of the meal. I would suggest that where possible we take advantage of set menus/special offers as that makes splitting the bill easier. This is to avoid the fuss of trying to work out what each person owes, as in my experience that usually ends up with the organiser having to sub the bill. Depending on circumstances it may be that the group can come to an arrangement on the night taking into account numbers, circumstances etc, but the starting point should be to assume that there will be an equal split. Bearing that in mind, please do not be antisocial, for example, by ordering the best bottle of chianti costing a week's rent or the best single malt after dinner unless you are prepared to pay extra for it (including the extra service)!
• To RSVP you will need to pay a deposit for the meal (where there is a set menu price, this will be the price of menu) which will be used to settle the bill. It will only be refunded if (a) you cancel and I am able to fill your space (including obtaining a replacement deposit from the person taking your space), or (b) if the dinner is cancelled or rescheduled by the leadership team and you can't make the new date/time. This policy is to protect me from no shows in circumstances where the restaurant may still charge me, and also to protect the other diners in case of now shows (or indeed people running out half way through the meal!). It also helps ensure people actually turn up, rather than cancelling at the last minute or just not turning up at all.
• There is a non-refundable booking fee per RSVP which goes towards costs of running the group (meetup.com and paypal fees etc). The fee will differ eat time (amongst other reasons, because paypal charge me a percentage of each transaction amount) but the amount will be clear in the meetup description.