Announcing a new Meetup for The Fairfax Volleyball Meetup Group!What: The Fairfax Volleyball Meetup
When: Sunday, June 27,[masked]:00 AM
Event fee: $10.00 per person
Franklin Middle School
3300 Lees Corner Road Door (not known yet)
Chantilly, VA 20151Sunday Indoor Volleyball MOVED TO FRANKLIN MS at 9am!!!!!!!! Who Should Play
This is for BB or better players. Please no backyard or BBQ experienced only players. To keep it competitive, if I get too many complaints about anyone's level of play or attitude, I reserve the right to remove you. Thanks for understanding.Format
We have the gym for a four hour period each Meetup.
Set up the nets, stretch/warm up, then we will begin with a warm up game until 16 players show up. At that point we split the people up by numbering teams 1-4. Remember your number! Once on a team you will play 3 games rally scoring to 25. Winning teams play on one side, second place on the other. After 3 games we will re-number teams. I usually ask someone else to number the teams after the first round. To do so, just give all the girls a number 1-4. If the last girl was a 2, continue numbering the guys at 3 (don't restart at 1). Make sure that the person knows their number before moving on! And no stacking your team!
Please help set up and take down the nets when you arrive/leave. Water is the only beverage allowed by the schools, and no food(though I sneak a few granola bars in.. just don't leave any mess). Please RSVP
(sign up!!) on the Meetup if you want to play. If we are maxed out on the meetup, join the wait list. If someone cancels their rsvp, those on the wait list will receive an email saying there is an opening. The first one to change to yes will get the spot. If you live in the area you can take a chance and show up without a spot. If you do, please let me or the other organizer know that you are not on the list for the day. You can play for free until the last person who RSVP'd shows up. If someone no shows and you get to play the whole time then it will be $10. If multiple people show up without a spot the first person to show up gets priority to play (that way if there is a no show and they pay they will be getting their money's worth)RSVP Deadlines:
If you can't make it, change your RSVP NO LATER THAN 2 days prior to the Meetup at 5PM(I.E. If you are signed up for a Saturday you must change your RSVP by Thursday by 5pm.. or Sunday would be Friday by 5pm
). If you change to a "No" by the deadline, you are off the hook. If you miss the deadline and nobody takes your spot, I have to charge you anyway. (If someone does fill in for your spot, you will not be charged.) If you no show, you still owe the money and you risk being kicked off this Meetup.
Also, if you have a spot and you want to give it to someone in particular, that is fine. BUT, please change your note and state who is taking your spot. Also, tell the person that is subbing for you that they must tell the organizer who they are playing for. I send out nastygrams to people that no show and I don't want to send one to you if you don't deserve it!Cost:
It's going to be $10 per person/per Meetup ($10 Cash or $10.61 Paypal for first timers only). This is for a 4 hour window at the gym. Payment:
First Timers: Because I have had more no-shows from new people than anyone else, I am now requiring pre-payment via Paypal for first timers.
If you are a first timer, you must pre-pay via Paypal.
If you haven't pre-paid by 5pm the Thursday before, I will have to remove you from the Meetup and add someone waiting to play. Go to www.paypal.com and click Send Money. Please Paypal 10.61 to [address removed]. Please leave your name and the meetup date as a note on Paypal so I can keep track. If you no show without payment, you are automatically kicked out of this Meetup. Regulars:
After you've been out to play, I prefer to be paid cash
. When you attend, please pay me or the assistant organizer $10 cash. Please bring payment to us when we are collecting (usually when we re-number the teams the second time). If you no show, you owe $10. Please Paypal me 10.61 to [address removed] and leave a note stating that you missed the meetup and the date. If you don't use Paypal, please email me acknowledging that you intend to pay me next time. If not, I will send out a nastygram(an unpleasant email asking you for money). I don't like having to send out nastygrams. I am not requiring pre-payment from regulars anymore. Thanks.
Any questions, please email me at: [address removed] Some rules we follow for indoor volleyball..
- Keep it friendly out there. Anyone who doesn't get this doesn't belong here and won't be welcome back
- We play rally scoring(every point counts) to 25
- If you hit the roof above you and it comes back to your side, it's still in play(provided that it wasn't the third hit)
- If you hit the ball into the roof and it goes over the net, the point is over, and it's the other team's point
- If you hit a side wall or back wall it's dead.
- If you hit the roof right above the net and it comes back to your side(the ball would go to the other side if the center wall divider wasn't there) it's dead and it is the other team's point. AKA - Duane's rule(Unless we are playing at Rocky Run.. In that case if you are SETTING the ball and it hits, you may still play it. If you were trying to hit it over and it hits, it is dead and the other team's point)
- If the ball hits the net on a serve and goes over, it is in play
- If you touch the net with your hands or arms, you forfeit the point. Please call it on yourself if you hit the net. We are NOT implementing the "NEW Net Rules". It is too confusing for everyone.
- Please don't "Carry" the ball. Defined here as lifting the ball up from the waist area or below with open palms. A closed fist is fine.
- Another form of carry is the dunk or re-direct, your hand shouldn't remain in contact with the ball for more than a strike.
- Games must be won by 2 points. If the other team is finished and waiting, to speed things up I may say sudden death at 26 or 28 etc. That means keep playing, if the score reaches 26/26 or 28/28, then it is sudden death and the next point wins.
The inclement weather hotline number is :[masked]-5264. Check the Meetup for updates and your email. If the schools are closed and you have pre-paid, I'll hold your money for the next time you play. I'll keep a spreadsheet with all the details.
Learn more here:http://www.meetup.com/FairfaxVolleyball/calendar/13787328/