addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Fairfield County Board Games Message Board › Considering shutting down Meetup and moving the group somewhere else

Considering shutting down Meetup and moving the group somewhere else

A former member
Hey everyone,

Meetup.com is nice and everything, but there are now a lot of FREE alternatives available.  I am thinking about shutting down my Meetup.com account (which costs $72 every 6 months) and pushing the group over to another service.  We've been going for 5+ years now.

An obvious choice would be Facebook since just about everybody already has an account.  There is already a group called "Boardgaming in CT", so there may not even be a need to create a new group.  It would just be a matter of creating Events in that location.  Another possible alternative is BigTent.com, which is very Meetup-like, free, and less well known.  But we would all need to create an account with them.

Any thoughts or comments about this?  I'm also open to transferring the Meetup group over to somebody else who wants to take over.

Cheers,

Steve
A former member
Post #: 129
Hello Steve.

Meetup is a love/hate thing with the game community. There really should be a better alternative for gamers (can someone get Boardgame Geek on this?), and i have looked into it, including BigTent, which I find has good calendering but the forums stink last I checked. I also looked into Webs.com which has some potential.

What you have with Meetup is a place everyone goes to in order to find a group. Being here offers this. Also, the calendaring feature is top notch with it. The forums are decent also. But you see the costs. UGH, the costs. If there would be some way to team up with others in Connecticut for gaming, to just get the calendaring, that would be good.

Again, look into it and see what you can come up with. I am also game for discussing off here some ideas on what can be done. I am in NY, Dutchess county, and would be game to come up with something as an answer here.