The Fairlington Social Club Message Board › Bicycle to Work Day (May 16)

Bicycle to Work Day (May 16)

Lori
user 3107646
Arlington, VA
Post #: 11
Bike to Work Day registration is now open. It is free, and you get a free t-shirt, free food, and there are prizes. It is Friday, May 16, 3008.

I would encourage anyone who lives in Fairlington or the surrounding area to give bicycling to work a shot. If you work downtown, the ride is about 8.5 miles - not enough to tire you out, but enough to clear your mind, see some birds, and wake you up. Also, it takes about the same amount of time as public transportation (less if you book it ? but I like to watch the birds). (Never driven to work so no comparison there.)

http://www.waba.org/e...­

Bike to Work Day also offers caravans so that riders may follow an experienced leader. The routes have not been announced yet. If someone is uneasy about doing it the first time, he/she is also welcome to join me anytime. (I ride to my office next to the White House.)

-Lori
A former member
Post #: 1,950
I have registered for this, making Crystal City my "pit stop"

I work downtown, and would love to find someone to ride with me and join me at the CC pit stop. (Lori, seems like we work near each other, actually, I'm a couple of blocks from the White House, on 19th.)
Lori
user 3107646
Arlington, VA
Post #: 13
Hi Carla,

Glad to see the interest in Bike to Work Day. I need to ride in a little on the early side (for me) that day. I would get to Crystal about 7:25 and then leave at about 7:40. I?m actually not going straight to work that day so I would cut off at Jefferson Memorial and head east. (I play a quick game of ultimate on the mall.)

If you are still interested in meeting up at all, let me know.

-Lori
A former member
Post #: 1,956
Lori, I was actually thinking of getting there a bit early to take my time as well -- was planning on getting to CC around 7:15am, so we're not that far off. I can meet you in Fairlington, if you're interested in biking there together.

I will probably leave around the same time so I can get to work on time (I'm afraid the trails will be busier than normal then...)

I've been biking to work daily for the last 4 weeks, and gotta say that I absolutely love it! Already dreading the winter when the dark trails will make biking unsafe :(