Join the Family Outdoor Adventure Club for a weekly health and wellness hike in the park. Appropriate for all ages, this 3-4 mile easy hike is perfect for first-time hikers. Get fit while experiencing the awesome Detroit riverfront and all it has to offer, especially the wetlands walk.
Meet at Rivard Plaza. The cost is only $5, but every participant receives a coupon good for $5 off a canoe trip with Heavner Canoe Rental. Kids 12 and under are FREE.
There are weekly wellness hikes also taking place at Island Lake State Recreation Area in Brighton, Maybury State Park in Northville and Proud Lake State Recreation Area in Commerce Township.
Please Note: The Michigan Department of Natural Resources makes every effort to provide the most up-to-date and accurate information on the web calendar. However, dates occasionally change and events may be canceled for any reason. Please call the unit hosting the event to confirm dates and times prior to your arrival.
A Recreation Passport is required for entry into all Michigan state parks and recreation areas. Check "YES" when you renew your license plate. Learn more at www.michigan.gov/recreationpassport.
· Strengthening muscles as you work your hip flexors, lower leg muscles, glutes, quadriceps, and hamstrings
· Combating osteoporosis (thinning bones), because you are moving against gravity with every step, allowing your bones to stay strong
· It works your shoulders, strengthens your core, and improves balance
· Helps to controls your weight
· A powerful mood booster that relieves stress thus strengthening your heart and mind, A trained health and wellness hiking guide will lead each hiking exercise session.
Family and Friend Benefits
· This activity promotes a healthy activity for you, your family and friends to enjoy together, thus increasing quality time with friends and family.
Pre-registration: Pre-registration is required so we can staff the event appropriately and you can be notified of cancellations due to weather concerns.
Simply select the class you wish to attend, select the # in your group and pay online
Bonus: Class participants will receive discounts on canoe/kayak trips which you can enjoy anytime throughout the season.
Safety: Class may be cancelled in case of unsafe weather and you will be notified via email and phone.
What to Bring: Sunscreen, Hiking Boots or comfortable shoes, camera (optional), water
Note: A DNR Recreation Passport is required for parking