Time: 07:00 PM - 08:30 PM
Location: Island Lake Recreation Area, 12950 E. Grand River Ave., Brighton, MI, 48116
Join the Family Outdoor Adventure Club for a weekly health and wellness hike in the park. Appropriate for all ages, this 3-4 mile easy hike is perfect for first-time hikers. Get fit while experiencing this awesome urban park.
Meet at the Kent Lake Beach Building. The cost is only $6, and includes a campfire afterwards and every participant receives a coupon good for $5 off a canoe trip with Heavner Canoe Rental. Kids 12 and under are FREE. Drop-ins welcome, but we prefer you pre-register by calling Dave at[masked]-3699.
There are weekly wellness hikes also taking place at Maybury State Park in Northville, William G. Milliken State Park in Detroit and Proud Lake State Recreation Area in Commerce Township.
Please Note: The Michigan Department of Natural Resources makes every effort to provide the most up-to-date and accurate information on the web calendar. However, dates occasionally change and events may be canceled for any reason. Please call the unit hosting the event to confirm dates and times prior to your arrival.
A Recreation Passport is required for entry into all Michigan state parks and recreation areas. Check "YES" when you renew your license plate. Learn more at www.michigan.gov/recreationpassport.
Research shows that Hiking Outdoors is an excellent cardio workout that targets physical and mental health and well-being. Hiking is a gentle cardio exercise that is an extremely effective means of exercise, accessible to all ages and levels of fitness. Cardiovascular and calorie burning is only one part of the health benefits it offers. Additional benefits include;
· Strengthening muscles as you work your hip flexors, lower leg muscles, glutes, quadriceps, and hamstrings
· Combating osteoporosis (thinning bones), because you are moving against gravity with every step, allowing your bones to stay strong
· It works your shoulders, strengthens your core, and improves balance
· Helps to controls your weight
· A powerful mood booster that relieves stress thus strengthening your heart and mind, A trained health and wellness hiking guide will lead each hiking exercise session.
· This activity promotes a healthy activity for you, your family and friends to enjoy together, thus increasing quality time with friends and family.
What to Bring: Sunscreen, Hiking Boots or comfortable shoes, camera (optional), water
Note: A DNR Recreation Passport is required for parking