Farmington Valley iOS Developers Group Message Board › Mobile Gaming App for iPhone or Android

Mobile Gaming App for iPhone or Android

A former member
Post #: 2
Hello All!

I have a great idea for a social gaming app that can be as big or bigger than 'Draw Something'

Right now, I have the idea, business plan, marketing plan and sketches in place, but I need help on the programming side.

Please contact me if you are interested in hearing the idea or willing to help.

I am willing to offer equity in the app as payment!

Thanks

Nick Piscitelli
A former member
Post #: 12
Hey Nick!
Thanks for joining the discussion on our group. I did a bit of research and talked to other developers about Draw Something. Here's a technical introduction to how Draw Something works under the covers.

Draw Something is a combination of a back-end API and an iPhone Front-End. Their back-end api's model is a CouchBase database. They used CouchBase as it scales extremely well and can migrate/share data across servers. One thing I want to point out are just the sheer numbers. They had 35 million users draw billions of images. So, because CouchBase scales so well, all you really need to do to increase the capacity that your model can hold is to add servers. OMGPop mentioned that they had at least a hundred servers. Some of these servers had bad capacitors and had to be replaced, in real-time and here's the cool part, they never went down and the servers kept humming.

Here's a link to a nice article that describes what I mentioned above: CouchBase: Draw Something

So, as a Software Engineer and someone who has released apps that flopped ( it's a humbling experience :) ), I wouldn't be able to work on an application where my only incentive was the hope that the app is popular.

OMGPop, the makers of Draw Something, paid their developers a salary PLUS a portion of what the app made PLUS a portion of what the company was sold for. The technical ability to swap servers, scale your back-end to over a hundred servers in real time, you're going to want someone working for you who is willing to put their blood, sweat and tears into the project. Otherwise, speaking from experience, the application will fail and if the developer wasn't compensated at all for his troubles I think there would be a lot of problems.

I really don't mean to be condescending here and if you take it that way I'm sorry. I'm speaking from my engineering side which tends to put logic and experience above all else. Software engineering is hard, pay your developers well :).
A former member
Post #: 3
Peter, thank you for your response.

I was not saying that the app would be the same along the lines of draw something-

But as POPULAR as draw something that could be sold for millions of dollars.

Contact me on my email if you want to speak further.

Thanks!

Nicolas Piscitelli
nicolas.piscitelli@ml.com