• 6:30 p.m.Welcome and Introduction Slides
6:35 p.m. Continue Data Science Tutorial: Practical Data Science for Data Scientists: Specific Data Science Tools and Applications 2, Federating Big Data for Big Innovation, Data Science for Datapalooza and ESIP Earth Sciences Data Analytics. See Climate Change and the President Obama's Action Plan Infographic and NASA Big Data: Where is the data for this?
• 7:00 p.m. Brief Member Introductions
• 7:10 p.m. EPA & NASA Climate/Environmental Data Analytics, Dr. Joan Aron, Global Environmental/Climate Change Scientist (with sample analytics by Brand Niemann) Slides Data Science for EPA Air Data and Chesapeake Bay Program
• 7:45 p.m. Federating Big Data for Big Innovation and A Redesigned, Open Source Data.gov: Dr. Jeanne Holm Data.gov Evangelist Slides
• 8:15 p.m. Open Discussion
• 8:30 p.m. Networking
• 9:00 p.m. Depart
• More Details: Eight Meetup: Tuesday, May 6, 6:30 p.m.
Join or login to comment.
George Thomas's Hospice Journey website:http://www.hospicejourney.org/visit/george-thomas
0 · May 7, 2014
Thank you Brand. We all miss George.
0 · May 8, 2014
Can someone dial into the bridge for May 6?
0 · May 6, 2014
Sorry Andrea. We used a new bridge number posted on the meetup site.
Just lots of good info on big data; I also am a big fan of data.gov, so it's exciting that so much is happening with government open data. Perhaps we'll see even more APIs?
1 · May 7, 2014
Nevin, you can find more of the APIs at https://www.data.gov/d... and http://catalog.data.g... There are about 450 between the two.
Thanks for continually providing a forum facilitating discussion and bringing in speakers with diverse experience. On my drive home npr was fittingly enough talking about big data.
At the building door. But door is loocked and no security to let me in.
The elevators won't go to the floor
1 · May 6, 2014
Background on NSF Assistant Director Dr. Farnam Jahanian: http://semanticommunity.info/Data_Science/NSF_Big_Data_Publications#Story
Kate and I look forward to seeing you at the Meetup tomorrow night at 6:30 p.m. Jeanne Holm, Data.gov Evangelist, will be presenting remotely starting at 7:30 p.m. Remote participation will be posted tomorrow.
I would welcome comments on a presentation to Dr. Phil Bourne, new NIH Associate Director for Data Science, this Wednesday: http://semanticommunity.info/Data_Science/Data_Culture_at_the_NIH#Story
I have invited Dr. Farnam Jahanian, NSF Assistant Director, to our May Meetups. See: http://semanticommunity.info/@api/deki/files/29208/FarnamJahanian_OntologySummit2014_BigData-NSF_20140428.pdf?origin=mt-web
0 · May 5, 2014
Will learn some big dat usage.
0 · May 2, 2014
Thank you and two more:https://www.linkedin.com/groupAnswers?viewQuestionAndAnswers=&discussionID=5829192811223728132&gid=1800648&commentID=5866632158088564736&trk=view_disc&fromEmail=&ut=0-PQzK_SLrNmc1
0 · May 1, 2014
Some background reading in preparation for our Meetup next Tuesday:
1 · April 30, 2014
We have frequent results-focused meetups that provide opportunities for a broad community of participants to focus on big data products for the Federal Big Data Initiative:
• Federal: Supports the Federal Big Data Initiative, but not endorsed by the Federal Government or its Agencies;
• Big Data: Supports the Federal Digital Government Strategy which is "treating all content as data", so big data = all your content;
• Working Group: Data Science Teams composed of Federal Government and Non-Federal Government experts producing big data products; and
• Meetup: The world's largest network of local groups to revitalize local community and help people around the world self-organize like MOOCs (Massive Open On-line Classes) being considered by the White House.
The Federal Big Data Working Group Meetup is also about helping government agencies develop:
• People – Data Scientists/Chief Data Officers
• Process – Data Infrastructure
• Products – Data Publications
• Eastern Foundry
And provide MOOCs/Meetups for training and networking.
Five MOOCs for Big Data Applications and Analytics:
• Practical Data Science for Data Scientists by Niemann Based on Schutt and O’Neil Book
• Data Science for Data Mining by Niemann Based on North Book and Borne Class
• Federal Big Data Working Group Meetups by Niemann and Goodier
• Data Science for Tackling the Challenges of Big Data, MIT ProfessionalX Online Course by Niemann Based on Rus and Madden MOOC
• Data Science for Big Data Application and Analytics MOOC by Niemann Based on Geoffrey Fox MOOC
• Data Science for Mining of Massive Datasets by Niemann Based on Stanford MOOC (IN PROCESS)
• USDA Data Science MOOC by Niemann based on USDA CIO and ACDO on Open Data Plan and Roundtable Meetup
See: Semantic Community and Federal Big Data Working Group Meetup
Xcelerate Solutions actively promotes the Federal Big Data Working Group
607 Decision Makers
1,850 WeDev.Club members
Meetup has allowed me to meet people I wouldn't have met naturally - they're totally different than me.
— Allison, started Women's Adventure Travel
Meetup members, Log in