addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Figure Drawing NYC--Summer Sketch Group and Draw-mania! Message Board › Refreshments and tipping

Refreshments and tipping

Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 214
As all the regulars know, the goal of this group is to provide the best art experience with the best models available at the most affordable prices.

We often have events at locations that offer some great refreshments, for those that chose to enjoy them. Attendees are under no obligation to consume, there's no drink minimum, but we are happy to offer the option.

Lately we've have a problem at some of our events--some of our patrons aren't tipping the bartenders. Our bartenders have been instrumental in getting our events into these places, and overall, they really like having you in their establishments. At the same time, they are also very hard-working, and basically live off the tips (food and bar staff don't have to be paid minimum wage, and in some places get as little as $2 per hour base pay), so it's very frustrating for them when they serve someone and don't get the customary tip (If you have a complaint or a problem with your service, they're usually happy to try to make it right for you. Or come and talk to me, and I'll talk to them).

It also threatens my ability to organize these events affordably, since I get these locations through the good graces of the bartenders. Otherwise, the cost of the locations, and so, the cost of the events, would rise considerably.

Now, I know some "offenders" are from countries where tipping is not the custom, and for at least a few of us locals, it's just an oversight.

So when you get a drink from the bar, please be sure to remember the custom is to tip a dollar a drink, whether for a soft drink or something more inspiring. It's not much, but it will do a lot to help the bartenders, and in turn will come back and help keep the cost of these meetup events low.

Thanks for understanding!