Note: This is at the same place where the last meeting was held, on Bathurst just south of Bloor, but in a different room and at a different time (7:00 PM, not 6:30).
This month we've got a double-header. Beatrice Beaubien will give us a sneak preview of the talk she's giving at this year's FileMaker DevCon (details to follow), and Jeff England has what promises to be a great case study, taking us through the database be built for a huge indoor amusement centre.
Here's Beatrice Beaubien's description:
DevCon Presentation, FileMaker in Healthcare Short overview of The Hospital for Sick Children FileMaker at SickKids:
- What it's like to work in the SickKids environment as a FileMaker developer
- Scope of FileMaker applications and services
- Rewards: what makes it worthwhile
- Challenges and opportunities for professional growth as a FileMaker developer
- Strategies for advancing the uptake and value of FileMaker in the enterprise space
This will be followed by a brief review of the whys and hows of becoming a Certified FileMaker Developer
- What to expect (without giving anything away)
- How to prepare for it
- What the benefits are
Here's Jeff England's description:
This session will be an overview of my five year project at Neb's Fun World. Neb's Fun World is the world's largest 5-Pin bowling center and is 3.5 acres of indoor space. My FileMaker solution runs the entire operation from reservations and employee management to actually interacting with bowling machines and keeping track of your bowling scores. Here are some of the main points that will be covered:
- An overview of the project and how its impacted our business
- The use of plug-ins and how the can be used to create value for your solution
- How a friendly, sharp looking GUI is important for user adoption
- How I have used the virtual value list to create dynamic and easily maintainable user interfaces
- Some unique uses for FileMaker Go
If there is time I am open to answering questions anyone may have.
This will be a good chance to have a discussion about the decisions Jeff has made in solving the problems he's encountered in this monumental project. And, a FileMaker luminary just might show up.
Everybody is welcome, but there's a limit of 35 people in the room, so RSVP. We'll go out for drinks and food at a local bar after.