addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
This Meetup is cancelled

30th Parallel Day Hike / Florida National Scenic Trail Cimmaron Section, 5 or 7

  • to
  • HWY 85 and Colonel Greg Malloy Rd

    Colonel Greg Malloy Rd
    Eglin AFB Reservation
    Crestview, FL (map)

    30.680145 -86.570122

  • Colonel Greg Malloy Rd at Hwy 85 near Shoal River Bridge. Because of road damage and closure at Titi Trail Head, we are moving meeting site to the north side of Colonel Greg Malloy Rd (this is the road to Okaloosa Correctional Institution).

  • We will meet on north side  of Colonel Greg Malloy Rd at Hwy 85 due to road closure at Titi Trail Head. we will meet here for briefing and then travel to Gin Hole Landing on Yellow River. This can be a 5 mile or a 7 mile hike, dependent on each hiker's desires.  It will all be explained during the pre hike briefing. Steve Duke is the event host,[masked]  and will be happy to answer any questions.  Eglin Recreational Permit required! No Pets!

Join or login to comment.

  • Steve D.

    I have checked the Weather Channel, AccuWeather and NOAA. All three sites forecast 100% chance of rain with some thunderstorms. Allen Strum on WEAR said to expect 1”-3” of rain tomorrow. Since the planned hike was in an area of the trail that we call Soggy Bottom. In the interest of hikers’ safety, it is best if I cancel this event. I have looked at the Jan calendar for another date and have not found one yet. I will keep looking.
    So, for now, this hiking event is CANCELLED.

    December 27, 2013

  • Diane W.

    Thanks for the update. I will look out for final go/no-go. Is there a rain date for the rain date? I've never been on this trail am looking forward to it:)

    December 27, 2013

  • Steve D.

    Friday, 5:45 a.m. weather update. The Weather Channel is still forecasting 100% chance of rain for Saturday. Remember, the final decision on "go" or "no go" will be posted by 9:00 pm today.

    December 27, 2013

  • Steve D.

    Thursday, 3:30 pm. I just checked. There is now a 100% chance of rain on Saturday. I need all hikers to put their collective good thoughts together and turn this around. Final decision will be made by 8:00 pm CST on Friday, Dec 27th. If weather forces a cancellation, I promise to reschedule it within 30 days.

    December 26, 2013

    • David M.

      Some of the weather sites are saying that rain chances increases substantially in the early afternoon.

      December 26, 2013

  • Inge A.

    I hiked last Sunday when we also had a 100% rain chance. We had no problems. The showers came late evening.

    December 26, 2013

  • TOM K.

    THANKS FOR THE UPDATE STEVE.

    December 26, 2013

  • Steve D.

    The weather channel now has an 80% chance of rain. I will make the final call on Friday night. This hike has already been cancelled once due to inclement weather. Keep your fingers crossed. Let's hike!!!

    December 25, 2013

  • Steve D.

    The washed out culvert at the Titi Trail head on Hwy 85 has not yet been repaired. Therefore, we are meeting approximately 1000 yards south at the intersection of Hwy 85 and Colonel Greg Malloy Rd. Park on the north shoulder in the grassy area. Please remember your recreation permits. Wear bright colors, orange vests or colorful backpacks as hunting season has begun. After the safety briefing, we consolidate vehicles and travel to Little Gin Hole to begin the hike. Hikers can choose to hike either 5 or 7 miles. The "how" will be explained at the sign in.

    December 24, 2013

  • Inge A.

    I will bring my friend Elaine who is new to hiking in our area.

    December 20, 2013

  • Steve D.

    What better way to burn off those extra holiday pounds than a hike along the Yellow River?

    1 · December 17, 2013

    • Paula K.

      Any bridges?

      December 19, 2013

    • Steve D.

      Yes. 8. Some with cables as handholds.

      December 19, 2013

  • Steve D.

    This is a rescheduled date after weather caused a cancellation of the hike that had been planned for Dec 14th. Let's keep our fingers crossed to have a sunny day on Dec 28.

    Special thanks to Richard Kersten for working behind the scenes to make all the computer changes which make or meetups so successful.

    December 14, 2013

Cancelled

Our Sponsors

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy