Florida Trail Association Organizer's Meetup Message Board › Uniform standards for FTA Meetup sites

Uniform standards for FTA Meetup sites

Kim H.
Kim.Himmelmann
Walkersville, MD
Post #: 2
Has anyone ever considered or suggested establishing uniform standards for setting up a Meetup site for the FTA?
Kim Himmelmann
Tropical Trekkers
Tom D.
user 8135813
Pensacola, FL
Post #: 140
Yes, but to my knowledge it hasn't moved past the "it's a good idea" stage. I'd be willing to serve on a committee to study all the issues surrounding uniform standards for all FTA web pages.
Carl A.
CAnglesea
Oviedo, FL
Post #: 14
I would prefer to see a list of "best practices" instead of "uniform standards". We should compile a list of what works well for most chapters and recommend it for all chapters.
Tom D.
user 8135813
Pensacola, FL
Post #: 141
Kim, Question: Is the underlying and primary premise of the "uniform standards" suggestion to expand our volunteer base to support the FTA mission? Is it to increase volunteer participation and membership growth? Defining the primary objective is important to any discussion. Carl's "best practices" comment is very relevant, but more so when the objective is well defined. Any discussion of MEETUP standards or practices can quickly drift off in multiple directions if and end goal isn’t defined and the conversation focused.

Alton Snellgrove was the first to introduce FTA to MEETUP in 2008. His objective was to increase FTA membership with a communication tool that was much more visible to the general public then the FTA web site. If you look at where Alton’s chapter was then (struggling) and where they are now (growing). I deem their use of MEETUP a success. Other chapters have also been highly successful with MEETUP but for "best practices" the North Florida Trail Blazers is a good place to start.
Kim H.
Kim.Himmelmann
Walkersville, MD
Post #: 6
Meetup is clearly a marketing tool making inroads into the untapped thousands who are in love with the outdoors and unaware of the Florida Trail Association and the work needed to be done. While "best practices" are clearly an essential part of the formula, the concept of "uniform standards" has more to do with the Florida Trail "brand". I cannot tell you how many times hard working members of our chapter have bemoaned the lack of "leadership" from the state office. Statements like "the FTA is just a loose collection of hiking clubs"... put up barriers to growth. So the idea of "uniform standards" is about clearly establishing FTA leadership, something that has been sorely lacking in my humble opinion. "Uniform standards" is about identity, mission, brand and leadership. If you put those pieces in place volunteer participation and membership growth will follow.
Tom D.
user 8135813
Pensacola, FL
Post #: 173
The issue of uniform standards for FTA MEETUP's is part of the agenda at the Annual Conference: Strong Chapters Growing Stronger. If you're truly interested in this be there and volunteer to serve on a committee. FTA is a volunteer organization and as such leadership is a shared responsibility.
Kim H.
Kim.Himmelmann
Walkersville, MD
Post #: 11
Tom, I wouldn't mind serving on a committee like this but the timing right at this point makes it difficult. We are in the process of changing houses in Jensen Beach and still trying to sell one in Maryland. When my personal life settles down some I will have more time to volunteer.