Jun 1, 2013 · 8:30 AM
This location is shown only to members
UPDATE: Changing orchards, time table and picnic location. Watch for updates.
There is no problem with the fire. We go as scheduled. Dave says bring some chairs/cooler/drinks/beer/ice as it is gonna be warm. We will visit Villa del Sol Farm (Jonathan says their cherries are even sweeter) if we cannot get to see the parade. Dave of CD Cherries says the cherries are prime and ripe for the picking! 1st Stop, Villa del Sol or the Parade. We'll decide at the NoHo Station when we meet. Here's the google map to Villa del Sol, you might want to print out.
Cherry Season is here! This is opening weekend! A full schedule of cherry picking, cherry parade, potluck picnic and maybe more cherry picking!
We will meet 8:30am at the North Hollywood Metro Station (free parking) and we will carpool from here. We leave the carpool location at 8:45am promptly. There's free parking at NoHo Metro Station. Please pay driver $10.00 for gas reimbursement. Please comment if you wish to drive or ride. Drivers, please gas up before the event. If you arrive late or wish to drive yourself, you can meet up with us at Amber's Cherries farm.
According to their website, they have picnic tables, so after we do some picking, we will gather back together and share our potluck picnic lunch.
Pick your own pesticide free cherries! We may visit more than one orchard and they usually sell cherry pitters, local honey, cold drinks, pies, drinks and more! So bring some extra cash just in case. Cherries will cost $3-4/lb and they only accept cash.
If there is a wait list and you are willing to drive, you will be added to the rsvp's.
UPDATE ~ NOTE: The road will be closed from 9am to 11AM for the Cherry Parade!
- 8:30am Meet @ NoHo Station
- 8:45am Leave NoHo Station
- 9:50am Arrive to Leona Valley
- 10:00am Watch the Cherry Parade
- 11:00am Check out vendors
- 12:00 noon Potluck Picnic
- 1:00pm Let the picking begin!
- 5pm Head home or explore the area
Directions to CD Cherries Orchard - http://www.cdcherries.com/
What to bring
- Pack for a day trip - I always bring snacks, hand towels or disposable wipes and plenty of liquids to drink.
- Potluck picnic item to share.
- Include containers for picking and for carrying the fruit home (smaller containers are better for children's smaller hands), Some farms provide them, but usually for a fee.
- Dress in old clothes and worn athletic shoes; you want to be comfortable and not worried about staining or tearing your clothes! If the ground is wet, it will really ruin any nice shoe, so wear your beat up old ones!
- Wide-brimmed hats help protect you from the summer sun; and in the Fall, extra layers keep you warm.
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, water, snack/powerbar
- Extra cash for misc. stuff and maybe dinner after we return to NoHo