addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board Newsletter Archives › LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 11-11

LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 11-11

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT

Hello Foodies!

Cooking Workshops - I'd love to co-host a couple workshops. I'd love to do a dumpling workshop where we would make potstickers, won tons & gyozas. My idea is that participants learn to make at least 3 different types of dumplings and we will make a meal of Wor won ton soup, fried potstickers and steamed gyozas or maybe har gow (shrimp dumplings). So for this workshop you will learn to make several kinds of dumplings, a classic Cantonese soup, enjoy lunch and bring home at least a dozen or more dumplings to cook or freeze for a future meal. I'll also show you how to make a classic Chinese chicken salad which will be part of our lunch. I've made that salad many times for groups as big as 300 people. I'll estimate the cost at about $25/person. Who ever volunteers to co-host this event, their workshop fee will be free.

Cheesemaking workshop - Looking for a member to co-host this event. We still have not successfully made burrata and I'm determined to succeed this time. We may also try making variations with dried/fresh herbs for some fancy mozzarella cheeses. Estimate the cost around $35.

Book Signing Ina Garten - She will only be signing copies of her new cookbook purchased from Williams-Sonoma (Sorry, it didn't mention that in the original release), Barefoot Contessa: How Easy Is That? Fabulous Recipes & Easy Tips. Thurs. 11/11, 1:00pm-3:00pm
Williams-Sonoma Santa Monica; 1600 Montana Avenue; Santa Monica, CA 90403

Video Of The Day - Wine Confidential I found it very informative. Pay attention to the end message.

Darrell's Test Kitchen - Speedy Bird - The last half dozen times I've oven roasted a turkey, I crank my oven all the way high which says 550 but my thermometer says 525 degrees! I've successfully roasted a medium size bird in about 1.5 hours and people are amazed how moist and tasty they are. I will never roast a bird at 350 ever again. Brine or not, the secret to turning out a fully cooked bird is that it be at room temperature before it goes in the oven. Most people have problems because their bird is not fully thawed so some parts of the bird don't fully cook and then to compensate, they have to cook the hell out of it and then you get a dry bird with the breast meat way overcooked and the meat falls apart. Also, there's different ways to carve the turkey than the old fashioned traditional way. The modern way is much better. I've also deep fried a whole turkey a couple of times. The first one was a little off, the 2nd one was great, this is about the fastest way overall.

Looked in the fridge to make some breakfast. So what do I find... Fresh Shitake mushrooms, King Oyster 'shrooms, green onions, Parmagiano Reggiano and eggs. Sounds good to me, so an omelet it is. Found a roll of easy bake country biscuits, nice... that will go in the ole toaster oven. Sliced the mushrooms and green onions, smash a clove of garlic, heat the pan at medium dump in some olive oil and start to saute the mushrooms and garlic. Decide to go fusion a bit and saute the goodies adding some soy sauce and sesame oil for a Chitalian omelet. LOL, I've never hear that fusion name before... Did I just coin a new fusion cuisine? The shrooms cook quickly, bust my eggs, give a quick beat down and into the pan they go. grate some cheese into the eggs toss in some of the scallions until the eggs are nearly set and plate omelet. A simple, quick and delicious omelet. Butter up a few biscuits and done! It was quite yummy.

Frugal Foodies - Post your groupons/vouchers on our forum that you wish to sell, buy or share. It's been working as I've sold a couple here.CLICK HERE

Upcoming Events - Check out our LA Foodies Calendar HERE­ and our Asian Foodies Calendar HERE­

Deal Of The Day - LivingSocial­ Winery tour and horseback ride - Temecula

Daily Deals
Restaurant.com­ 80% Discount - Code = GIVE
LivingSocial.com­ - Kung Pao Bistro - WeHo
Dealpop.com­ -
Groupon.com­ - Mirabelle WeHo or Crazy Sushi in NoHo - go for the drink not food
BloomSpot.com­ - Culina private dinner
Tippr.com­ - Hollywood on Location
SocialBuy.com­
AtCost.com­
BlackBoardEats.com­ -
Bogopod.com­ -
Greatworkperks.com­
Goldstar­

LAfoodies.org­
AsianFoodies.info

Okay, that's it for today!

Darrell Lee