L.A. Foodies Message Board Newsletter Archives › LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 11-13

LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 11-13

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Hello Foodies!

Union Station Foodies Give Back Event - The Thanksgiving event we have 97 members signed up to volunteer their time on Thanksgiving Day to help feed/serve the homeless and people in need. YOU FOODIES ROCK!!! Thank you for your service!

Steve is also hosting a Project Angelfood event where volunteers with help with the sales of retail merchandise with the proceeds raised to go to P.A.F. Free entry for volunteers. Click here for details.

Cooking Workshops - Looks like the Dumpling Workshop may happen! I'd love to do a dumpling workshop where we would make potstickers, won tons & gyozas. My idea is that participants learn to make at least 3 different types of dumplings and we will make a meal of Wor won ton soup, fried potstickers and steamed gyozas or maybe har gow (shrimp dumplings). So for this workshop you will learn to make several kinds of dumplings, a classic Cantonese soup, enjoy lunch and bring home at least a dozen or more dumplings to cook or freeze for a future meal. I'll also show you how to make a classic Chinese chicken salad which will be part of our meal. I'll estimate the cost at about $25/person. Who ever volunteers to co-host this event at their home, their workshop fee will be free. We have one co-host for a mid-week evening workshop but I'd like to find a co-host that would be able to host our members on a weekend. A dumpling workshop would be for around 6-10 members.

Cheesemaking workshop - Looking for a member to co-host this event. This is about a 6 hour workshop so it needs to be on a weekend. We still have not successfully made burrata and I'm determined to succeed this time. We may also try making variations with dried/fresh herbs for some fancy mozzarella cheeses. Estimate the cost around $35.

Video Of The Day - Wine Confidential I found it very informative. Pay attention to the end message.

Darrell's Test Kitchen -

Frugal Foodies - Post your groupons/vouchers on our forum that you wish to sell, buy or share. It's been working as I've sold a couple here.CLICK HERE

Upcoming Events - Check out our LA Foodies Calendar HERE­ and our Asian Foodies Calendar HERE­

Deal Of The Day - Groupon.com­ - LACMA Membership is $25 for a $50 Indie membership. This is a great deal like the other museum deals, you never saw these museum memberships discounted until now! The other deal, Kansas City Steak Co. $25 for $50 free s/h. Really their prices are sky high, however, they have a 3.5-4lb Prime Rib Roast for $55, so with this groupon, the after discount cost would be $30 delivered (or $7.50/lb) for a Prime Rib Roast which is a great deal for that grade of meat. Otherwise, I saw little else that interested me. Read the Chow Thread Here.

Groupon also has a wine tasting for 2 (Ten 1 oz pours), 2 wine glasses, 1 bottle of wine for $39 for Laguna Canyon Winery. This deal can be found in the O.C. Groupon.com­ deals.

Daily Deals
Restaurant.com­ 80% Discount - Code = GIVE
LivingSocial.com­ -
Dealpop.com­ -
Groupon.com­ - LACMA Membership & Kansas City Steak Co.
BloomSpot.com­ -
Tippr.com­ -
SocialBuy.com­
AtCost.com­
BlackBoardEats.com­ -
Bogopod.com­ -
Greatworkperks.com­
Goldstar­

LAfoodies.org­
AsianFoodies.info

Okay, that's it for today!

Darrell Lee