L.A. Foodies Message Board Restaurants, Carts & Food Truck Reviews › Restaurant Review - Ruby Room - Beverly Hills Persian Food *****

Restaurant Review - Ruby Room - Beverly Hills Persian Food *****

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Post #: 4,839
This is a restaurant that I would never have visited if it wasn't for Groupon... and I'm so glad I did. These days, I usually avoid Beverly Hills restaurants because of the parking, the prices and sometimes snooty attitude of the wait staff. To my surprise, this little gem of a restaurant is my kind of place. It's small, cozy and can be great for a quiet intimate dinner if you are on a date. Well, I wasn't, but if I was looking for a date place in BH, I'd definitely consider this place. They have a good sized enclosed patio where the lighting is very low... aka dark, so you could pick a dark corner of the patio for quiet conversation. It was surprisingly empty, while not good for business, is great for conversation and privacy. I hate the popular joints where you are elbow to elbow and 20 people can hear every word you say. Or the ambient noise level is so loud you have to yell to be heard and your throat is hoarse the next day from yelling all night.

I arrived before my dining companion and the place was literally empty so I had a chance to chat with the owner/wife for some time. She was very sweet to me and I got to learn about their style of cooking which she said is more home cooking style than fancy restaurant cooking which is also fine by me.

She suggested several menu items and we settled on the appetizer of two of their stews over rice fond (browned hard rice from the bottom of the pan). One was the Ghormesabzi which was spinach, parsley, beans and beef and the other which was my favorite, I'm guessing it was the Fesenjoon but it was one of the last two on the menu and had a tomato base. Both were tasty however. This is a home style dish that you wouldn't find in the more upscale Persian restaurants. While the flavors are completely different to Cantonese cooking, us Chinese also love the rice fond and we use it many different ways and as kids, we'd fight over who gets some.

The owner was very nice and comp'ed us bowls of soup! Knowing we were using a Groupon... that's crazy! She knows they will be losing money on this dinner and she still gives us freebies? Too kind. I'd thank her by name, but it's Persian and while I was able to pronounce it, I can't remember it, but thank you soooo much!

Our main dishes were the Sultani and the Lamb Shank with dill basmati rice. The Sultani was 2 kebabs one of filet mignon and the other was of ground beef, both really delicious! I preferred the ground meat because it has lots more wonderful spices, while cheaper to produce. The filet meat was delicious as well, just not as bold of flavors. I ordered the Lamb Shank and it was really good. At $14, a terrific value as that dish has to be braised for hours and it comes with an enormous amount of dill flavored rice. The shank was completely buried under the mountain of rice! That rice... wow, it blew me away! It was uniquely cooked to perfection. It was soft, fluffy and tasted amazing with the flavoring of the dill and then when I add the tomato/cinnamon sauce over the rice.... oooohhh sooooo good. Hey, I'm really surprised I'm so impressed with their rice, or anyone's rice for that matter as rice is usually just a starch to soak up the flavors and juices of whatever your entree is. But... this rice was so amazing... I was surprised how long the grains were and the texture, I thought they had some kind of pasta added to it but the owner insisted no, it all rice... The Sultani does not come with the dill rice, I didn't taste her rice as I was in heaven with mine, but it looked like the rice was just regular rice with melted butter. When I return, I'm definitely requesting the dill rice if I order an entree that doesn't come with the dill rice. We were both stuffed, to the point, neither could finish any of my dishes! My friend took half her dinner home and I simply was too full to polish off the soup, apps and my heavenly dill rice even! Sooo sick... That NEVER happens to me! Very generous portions! Okay, I have one small issue... the pita bread was not super fresh... if was just okay like it was a day or two old.. but that is the only fault that I could find with this restaurant.

Knowing it has free corkage and free ample parking... those two items alone in BH often add up to $20-30 piled on top of your total dining cost. So I might deduct 1/4 star for the bread, I'd give 1-1.5 bonus stars for the free corkage and parking.

Oh, as others mention, it's very hard to find, but it is on the South side of Wilshire Blvd. and Stanley Ave. Self park in their lot in the evening. Oh one other thing is that they close at 9pm so this is not a late night joint.

So to recap, food excellent, service excellent, ambiance excellent, prices excellent, free self parking, free corkage, good for groups excellent, location excellent! A wonderful place with great food, a 5 star experience! Thank you Ruby Room and thank you Groupon for introducing this diamond in the rough to me.

The Ruby Room
8560 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

(310) 854-1020

http://www.rubyroomre...­
Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Post #: 4,840
Here's a recipe I found that looks about right...

http://myexperiencewi...­

Warren
KDog
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 962
My favorite part of Persian meals actually does tend to be the pita bread, if they serve it with butter and raw white onion.