L.A. Foodies Message Board Newsletter Archives › LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 11-26

LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 11-26

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 11-26

Hello Foodies!

I hope you had a delicious Thanksgiving!

Foodies Give Back! Thanksgiving Dinner In The Park - What a crazy, chaotic, amazing event! Thanks to all you Foodies who came out, volunteered their time on this Thanksgiving... I was so pleased to see so many foodies helping others less fortunate than ourselves. This was also my first experience with this event so I didn't know much about the time table and tasks involved. Basically there was a lot of waiting around until about 11:30am and then finally we were all put to work. Our group, the purple team, had the best tasks as we were tasked with being in charge of the serving tables, greeting the diners, trying to help give people in need a dignified Thanksgiving meal, put smiles on their faces and greet and welcome all to the event.

I was really impressed how great the greeters did in making the diners feel welcome.... Despite all my yelling to keep the food delivery corridor clear so that the food runners could deliver the food unimpeded. I was also amazed with how much food the businesses and the people in the community donated to this event. 500 turkeys! Hundreds of pies! I've never seen more pies in one place! It was great to see the mobile kitchen with the Cordon Bleu Staff and Students working the hot food and meat carving. I met and chatted with the head guy of the school and I'm going to try to arrange a tour of the Cordon Bleu school and then have a meal afterwards... I think that will be a great event. I only recognized one celebrity... Eric Roberts... I was waiting until the food serving began, but then the wrangler moved him, so unfortunately I didn't get a shot of him. One of the Pasadena station commanders was there helping serve... but hopefully my pics came out, there was a girl in a Forensics Uniform... there really are hot girls in CSI. I called her CSI Pasadena, she got a kick out of that!

There were about 5000 diners, 3000 volunteers signed up to help with maybe 1800-2000 showing up and an unbelievable amount of food. So many pies in fact that at the end of the event, they were giving away hundreds of pies to anyone that wanted to bring one home. Thank you Allison for getting our group involved with giving back to the community!

Are You Foodies Ready For MORE? - I'm trying to see if if we can host a Saturday morning breakfast at Union Station for about 150 guests. I'd like to get a co-host for this proposed Saturday event. Anyone interested, please email me. Unfortunately, Ali will not be hosting the weeknight event any longer.

California Dungeness Crab Season - Live Calif crabs are now in season. Most 99 Ranch Markets as well as the Korean markets are selling the crabs for under $4/lb! It would be awesome if a member would host a Dungeness Crab Boil or a Chinese stir fry crab event which would cost a fraction dining at a restaurant. Here's a great page on cooking crab. http://www.seriouseat...­

Korea Invades Japan! - A group of Korean investors have taken over the former Mitsuwa Market in Little Tokyo and it is now called Woori Market. Reviews are mixed.

Top Chefs... Where are they now? - DineLA has a good article on them CLICK HERE

The Heaven & Surf Cantonese Banquet - December 22nd. This will be a gathering of both Foodies and LA Poker Group Chinese holiday Banquet... This will be our only event of the year where all three of the groups that I organize are invited together for a single dining event. I think one year we had 70-80 people and it was a blast! Still working on the menu and writeup...

Darrell's Test Kitchen - I had a couple of slices of crusty dried out French bread from my JackShrimp dinner. I didn't bother to wrap the bread in plastic to preserve the moisture so in the morning it was nearly hard as a rock. So it's either turn into bread crumbs or... make French toast! So that's what I did... but one problem is that I didn't have a good, 100% genuine maple syrup, just some crappy low cal Log Cabin syrup which isn't very sweet. So 2 slices means I need two eggs and I kick it up a notch by adding cinnamon to the eggs and I will sprinkle sugar on the toast as they cook. That proved to not be such a good solution as the sugar burned... It was still edible, but not great... Next time, I'll just use powdered sugar after I'm done cooking. But, otherwise, that dried out bread worked great for the toast. Again, I believe this dish was created for the express purpose of utilizing left over or dried out bread. Gotta go to Costco and get me some real maple syrup.

Deals Of The Day -

Frugal Foodies - Post your groupons/vouchers on our forum that you wish to sell, buy or share. It's been working as I've sold a couple here.CLICK HERE

Upcoming Events - Check out our LA Foodies Calendar HERE­ and our Asian Foodies Calendar HERE­

Daily Deals
Restaurant.com­ 80% Discount - Code = SAVE
­LivingSocial -
Dealpop.com­ -
Groupon.com­ - Kodak Photobook and Online Wine
BloomSpot.com­ - Napa Truffle Festival
Tippr.com­ -
SocialBuy.com­ -
AtCost.com­
BlackBoardEats.com­ -
Bogopod.com­ -
Greatworkperks.com­
Goldstar­

LAfoodies.org­
AsianFoodies.info

Out To Lunch (OT) - Here's a deal for ya. If you get 1-3% cash back from your credit card issuer, you could buy $250-$1000 of $1 coins direct from the US Mint with no addon, meaning you pay only $1000 for 1000 coins and you make a profit from the cashback program. If you get 3% cashback, that's $30! Normally 25 coins in Mint wrappers sells for $36 plus s/h. Also, the coins might have some future collector value as they will be all un-circulated coins in bank type wrappers however, not US Mint wrappers, CLICK HERE. Speaking of coins, when the spot silver price hit $29+ the other day, that makes any pre-1965 quarters worth about $5.00 melt value.

Okay, that's it for today!

Darrell Lee
Organizer