addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board Newsletter Archives › LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 11-27

LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 11-27

Group Organizer
Springfield, VT

Hello Foodies!

Chinese Noodles - The Chinese invented the noodles over 4,000 years ago, yet the Chinese noodle dishes are held in relatively low esteem compared to the Italian pastas, Japanese ramens... with ramen bloggers noting minute differences in broths, texture of noodles and other minutia. I've paid upwards of $18 for a single serving of Italian pasta, yet in Chinatown, you could get a dish that will feed 3-4 people for 1/2 or even 1/4 the price. Even though other ethnic cuisines got their noodles from China. The Chinese cuisine uses many different kinds of noodles with many flavors, sauces, soups and more. So, I'm planning a series of noodle tasting events starting with several places in Chinatown. Watch for them starting next month. We will begin with soup noodles, the perfect dish for the cold winter days or nights. Join the LA Asian Foodies group if you want in on this future series of tasting events.

Free Frozen Turkeys - I don't know if it's legit but... Free frozen Grade A turkeys for the holidays while they last. Distributor must make room and is giving away 35,000 turkeys starting November 27, 2010 at 7 AM. Hours 7 AM to 6 PM 7 days a week until they are gone. Limit 2 turkeys per family. First come first serve. Must pick up at warehouse.

Warehouse Location: Call for directions and hours.

Xpert Foods Inc
6524 S. Eastern Blvd. Building C
Bell Gardens, CA 90201
Tel: (877) 973-7871

SoCal Soups and Sweets People's Choice Award Contest - One of our members, Marian, will be one of the judges on Dec. 11th in LA (Woodland Hills), with restaurants, caterers and food trucks. Tickets: http://www.socalsoups...­

Darrell's Test Kitchen - My first attempt at making a squash soup... I used Alton Brown's recipe and the results was delicious and inexpensive. You can buy a winter Table Queen squash at Superior Grocers for 7lbs/$1.00. I pretty much followed his recipe using the Mexican creme fraiche instead of heavy cream. I used my blender as I don't have an immersion blender. I also used a bit more ginger than the recipe called for. Delicious! Cost less than $2 to serve 8.

Deals Of The Day - LivingSocial has a 50% off deal at the Pacific Dining Car. This is a pretty amazing place! I had one of my best shrimp dinners here. Fabulous old school restaurant.

Frugal Foodies - Post your groupons/vouchers on our forum that you wish to sell, buy or share. It's been working as I've sold a couple here.CLICK HERE

Upcoming Events - Check out our LA Foodies Calendar HERE­ and our Asian Foodies Calendar HERE­

Daily Deals­ 80% Discount - Code = SAVE
­LivingSocial - Pacific Dining Car­ -­ - Kodak Photobook and Online Wine­ - Napa Truffle Festival­ -­ -­­ -­ -­

Out To Lunch (OT) -

Okay, that's it for today!

Darrell Lee