addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board L.A. Foodies+ Discussion Forum › Bacon, Onion & Mushroom Risotto

Bacon, Onion & Mushroom Risotto

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Post #: 4,867
Well, not having the fresh fava beans or peas to attempt a green risotto, I foraged in my fridge and decided to make my risotto with

Bacon 3 strips chopped
1/2 small onion diced
2 cloves garlic sliced
2 large button mushrooms thin sliced
1/4 cup half and half
1 small chicken boullion cube
salt and pepper
red crushed pepper flakes
shaved parmagianno reggiano
Italian flat leaf parsley for garnish
Calrose Shirakiku short grain rice (also used for sushi making)

It came out fabulous, but cooking it the traditional way is time intensive as you have to constantly stir it and add liquid to it. It was as delicious as any risotto dish that I've ever had, probably better than all or most... After plating it and started eating it, an idea occurred to me that a fried egg would kick up another notch... but I couldn't put down my spoon and didn't want to stop eating my risotto. Next time! Cost of ingredients was $1.00-$1.50 and this was enough for two servings so under $1.00 per serving. At a restaurant about $24 for two servings plus tax and tip is nearly $30!

Genuine Italian arborio rice is expensive ($2-3/lb in 10 lb size)in small quantities, so I've rarely bought it in the past.

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Post #: 4,869
I'm not convinced Italian arborio rice is necessary and that I'm very comfortable substituting a less expensive short grain rice without any taste compromise. This is because I'm using so many bold flavors and ingredients, the flavor differences between the two rices cannot be differentiated in a finished dish.

Cooked Chinese style which is... Rice and water... no salt or any other ingredients added before serving, then, certainly persons with a highly sensitive palate may be able to tell the difference, for better or worse...