L.A. Foodies Message Board Restaurants, Carts & Food Truck Reviews › New Capital Seafood Restaurant Review

New Capital Seafood Restaurant Review

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Post #: 4,878
New Capital Seafood Restaurant Review

New Capital Seafood Restaurant
140 W Valley Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 288-1899
Corner of Del Mar and Valle Blvd. 4th floor

I've been meaning to try this place for years for both the dim sum and for their dinners.

I like this place. Yes it was packed for dim sum on a weekend, but I arrived a bit late and we managed to get seated almost immediately however as we were lucky that Rachel was able to speak the lingo. @ $2/plate on weekends, it's bargain priced. 8 of us ordered 29 dishes and it cost us a meager $10 including tax/tip per person.

This place is Cantonese and I was surprised to see that they have one of the largest selections of dim sum that I've seen. All their dumplings and shu mai were up to par. Gai lan, very good... cooked just right, not too crunchy, not too soft. The chicken feet tasted fine, but was slightly undercooked... ditto with the pigs feet. The spare ribs in black bean sauce had no black bean sauce that I could see or taste. Otherwise all the other dishes were fine.

This place is cart style which saves a lot of time and you can see what you are getting. Carts or ordering off the menu both have their merits.

Is this the best dim sum place? Sorry, no, not by a long shot, but the restaurant is big, beautiful and actually has a nice view of the valley and mountains from our table #6. Service was average for a place this size. Parking was chaotic but I managed to find parking without problem. Love that it is in the same mall as 99 Ranch Market, but this time, my fridge is full so no need to stop in this trip.

Their Peking duck was priced at only $23 but from the pics I've seen, it looks like a 1/2 duck but I'd be surprised if they were a full duck but I didn't get to try it. They also have live tanks and they had live spot prawns, king crab, lobsters, red snapper and more live seafood... So, I definitely want to return and try their seafood dishes for dinner, especially since I've hear if you spend at least $40, you can buy lobster for $1/lb.

This place is good, value priced but on par with the average dim sum restaurants in downtown LA Chinatown. I will give them that they have a bigger variety.

3 stars for the food, 4 stars for the great value, 5 stars for the view/location/free parking so I'm rating it a 4 overall.